Helmet mounted light xc use

kirkee
kirkee Posts: 369
edited June 2019 in MTB buying advice
Any reccomends for a helmet mounted light? Budget £100 plus or so. Will use for night MTB rides upcoming 24 hour event and winter commutes. I currently use cheap Chinese Cree handlebar light for front, I know the basic gist/ pros and cons of Chinese crees. For the helmet light am considering a decent light, ie not dirt cheap!
Cheers
Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will

Comments

• billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    2nd vote for a Joystick, although you'll need more juice for a 24H event. Or a Hope light with bigger battery pack(s).

I'm a big fan of you get what you pay for with lights.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • BillyCool wrote:
    I'm a big fan of you get what you pay for with lights.
    Very much this - Exposure lights are very expensive but they are hard-wearing and the company offer good customer support.
    I've run into trees, kicked it down concrete steps and dropped it albeit briefly into a stream and it still works.
    I'm a big fan of their tech and the self-contained batteries (negating the need for wires all over the frame/helmet/handlebars).
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    oxoman wrote:
    For reliability I'd be looking at exposure joystick mk12 along with additional battery pack if your not interested in cheaper Chinese cree things.

This ^^^ or a Diablo if you want more of those lovely lumens.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    Thanks, looks like ill get an Exposure after the reccommends, will be between the Joystick or Diablo.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I'd recommend the Diablo. It isn't too heavy to use as a helmet light but is also bright enough to be used as a bar-mounted light.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009