Crown race install: did I damage my fork?

kilou
kilou Posts: 26
edited June 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I just replaced my fork with an air model (RockShox Paragon) but reused the old headset and (non-split) crown race. The crown race was a very tight fit on the new fork and I had to use some brute force to push the crown race on the tapered steerer tube. I used a long PVC pipe fitting the size of the crown race, placed it over the steerer tube (PVC pipe was longer than steerer tube), turned the fork upside down (PVC pipe resting on the floor), placed a piece of wood under the fork crown (just below steerer) and hammered it strongly 20-30 times until the race was flush with the crown.

This worked well but was pretty difficult so it took a fair amounts of heavy hammering...and now I worry I may have put the fork crown/alloy steerer at too much stress by hammering it although I used a piece of wood to protect the crown. I know that it's not good to hammer a crown race with the dropouts resting on the floor but is it safe to hammer on the underside of the crown (with a piece of wood inbetween) with the fork upside down or may this have put the crown or the alloy steerer where the crown race sits at too much stress? Obviously, no sign of visible damage... Would be glad to know your opinion about

Comments

• lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    Ive not had any problem doing this in the past, and ill do it that way again too!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The crown race should be a snug fit, I've always had to hammer mine on, no issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kilou
    kilou Posts: 26
    Thanks, this sound reassuring. I was afraid that hammering from below the crown could lead to early fatigue of the crown, especially after seeing that some fork manufacturers (see eg https://salsacycles.com/files/tech/1517 ... _F_SGM.pdf) do not recommend supporting the fork on either the dropouts or the lower part of the fork when installing the crown race. Anyway, I guess it is okay to do what I did.
  • mark~p
    mark~p Posts: 55
    If you have the equipment then the best way to do this it to heat the ring so that it expands and drops on. Even using boiling water can be enough to get it to slip on.

One of those hot-air guns is best. Using a blowlamp is risky as it is very easy to overheat it.