If money was no object but you had to buy from Halfords

inkj
inkj Posts: 93
edited June 2019 in Road buying advice
Ok, I know most of you are not keen on Halfords

But if you were to buy a RB - and price was not an issue

Unless I'm missing something, Halfords seem to only 'go up to' Broadman 8.9 [£1,000]

Would that be the 'top' RB that you can get from Halfords?

Also if anyone has idea on how/when Halfords run short offers [like 10% off all bikes] and if one is coming up - that would be of interest

Thanks for any help

Comments

• ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    15% off until Monday

https://www.hotukdeals.com/vouchers/15- ... ds-3241867
    Also with BC membership you get 10% off. Some branches allow you to stack the discounts; others don't.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I think Cycle Republic is part of the Halfords group. They do a greater range of bikes, including Boardman high end models.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Buy a Brompton or two, sell them and use the cash to buy a flash road bike elsewhere....

Or buy the Boardman 8.9 and stick a better groupset and new wheels on it, perhaps some more flash finishing kit... Frame wise you lose very little to bikes that cost a lot more.
  • inkj
    Thanks

It's a shame the 15% finishes on Tuesday - as it won't be for another week or two that I will be able to buy the bike

Thakns all for the help
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Yep - as above Cycle Republic is part of the Halfords group. If you want to stick to Boardman bikes then they have the Boardman Air Red Etap for just under £4K - down from RRP of £6K

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/boardman- ... -2019.html

But Cycle Republic offer other brands eg Scott, Colnago, Look etc so you wouldn't be restricted to a Boardman if you could shop there
  • inkj
    As I said [unfortunately] I can only buy from Halfords

And cycle republic doesn't count as Halfords when using Halfords gift cards - I had looked into that

I did notice that Halfords stopped at 8.9 but they're 'posher' sister shops had higher up the range bikes
  • Is it worth spending a few minutes of your time and calling or emailing Halfords customer services and asking if you can order in a Cycle Republic bike to collect and pay at your local Halfords?

Say you're so far away from a CR store etc.
  • crescent
    I've used EdenRed gift vouchers at Cycle Republic when they were supposed to be used at Halfords. Definitely worth contacting Halfords Customer Services - they were very helpful to me in the past when I bought my bike on C2W scheme.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Check it with Halfords head office. Many moons ago when my company started doing Cycle to Work they limited it to Halfords. However, Halfords could get many more brands of bike, basically if they dealt with an importer for other cycle stuff they could get any bike brand that that importer also dealt with. For example, if they stocked saddle bags that were imported by Windwave, they could get any brand bike that Windwave were also the importer for, even if they didn’t stock/ sell the bikes in store.

Don’t know if this is still the case, but worth asking.

PP
  • crescent
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Check it with Halfords head office. Many moons ago when my company started doing Cycle to Work they limited it to Halfords. However, Halfords could get many more brands of bike, basically if they dealt with an importer for other cycle stuff they could get any bike brand that that importer also dealt with. For example, if they stocked saddle bags that were imported by Windwave, they could get any brand bike that Windwave were also the importer for, even if they didn’t stock/ sell the bikes in store.

Don’t know if this is still the case, but worth asking.

PP

Yep, similar experience for me when limited to Halfords for C2W. Admittedly, it was 10 years ago and slightly different circumstances but I managed to get a Specialized Allez from Halfords despite it not being a stock item. For all their faults I couldn't fault them for their customer service and the Braehead branch in Glasgow that I dealt with on that occasion were great.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    oxoman wrote:
    Normally halfrauds should be able to supply any make bike, just ask.

why are you calling them Halfrauds? Are you too cool and PRO for them or did a clubbie tell you?

#confused
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    My son works for Cycle Republic and they DO take Halfords gift cards unless you get a numpty that doesnt realise...
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    For all their faults halfords car batteries are top notch.
    By £1k worth of those and sell them on ebay.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Tredz are part of Halfords and I believe a friend used Halfords vouchers at the Boardman place down at Evesham. I also think if your employer does C2W through Halfords you can use the voucher at Cycle Republic too.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    ChippyK wrote:
    Tredz are part of Halfords and I believe a friend used Halfords vouchers at the Boardman place down at Evesham. I also think if your employer does C2W through Halfords you can use the voucher at Cycle Republic too.

I've just used my Halfords C2W at Tredz.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • I bought a Boardman SLR 8.9 Carbon last summer through C2W and returned it a week later.
    The seat clamp has a known issue of not applying the necessary pressure to hold seat post in place, which makes it slide every time you hit a bump or pothole. Their solution, one they were doing to every customer's bike they sold, was to apply "carbon grease" to increase friction, but that wasn't enough for me.
    Mounting the newly designed seat clamp was another issue, that made one of the guys at Cycle Republic to crack the painting of mine when installing it. He arranged another one to be picked up in another store.
    I later learned that it seems the issue was flagged in development stages but they still went ahead and produced the bike.
    My recco would be to stay away from this specific model and seat clamp system, even though frame design and material, groupset and price looks tempting.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Mine is absolutely fine
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I bought a Boardman SLR 8.9 Carbon last summer through C2W and returned it a week later.
    The seat clamp has a known issue of not applying the necessary pressure to hold seat post in place, which makes it slide every time you hit a bump or pothole. Their solution, one they were doing to every customer's bike they sold, was to apply "carbon grease" to increase friction, but that wasn't enough for me.
    Mounting the newly designed seat clamp was another issue, that made one of the guys at Cycle Republic to crack the painting of mine when installing it. He arranged another one to be picked up in another store.
    I later learned that it seems the issue was flagged in development stages but they still went ahead and produced the bike.
    My recco would be to stay away from this specific model and seat clamp system, even though frame design and material, groupset and price looks tempting.

Mine is absolutely fine

don't ya just love the internet?

#opinions
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.