Pirelli P Zero Velo tyres - anyone uses them?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,863
edited June 2019 in Road buying advice
Plenty of reviews out there, including the requisite resistance ones, but keen to hear if anyone has tried them, and stayed with them, and how they compare to the GP4000's and 5000's of this world.

Thanks
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• PhilipPirrip
    PhilipPirrip Posts: 616
    I've had a 28mm on the rear of one bike since early last year and had no problems with it. Good in dry and wet conditions and at high speed.

Main difference for me is wear life. Just checked the numbers and so far it's done over 4,000 miles with very little wear, which compared to the 25mm GP4000 it replaced - so not an absolutely fair comparison - would be shot after 2,500 miles only if it hasn't locked up before then.
  • daniel_b
    Thanks Phillip,

Mileage isn't really a huge consideration for me, as the bulk of my time is either on the turbo, or next year will be on the commuting bike.

Shame, as I was quite tempted by these yellow ones, which would surprise a lot of people.

pirelli-p-zero-velo-yellow.jpg?itok=UbatcKq_

Continental did announce some colour options for there 4000's a couple of years ago, and I pre ordered some from a site, possibly Tredz, but then I guess they hit issues, as they never actually came to market.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Put them on my bike last sept. They are now my default tyre - I would say the performance is comparable to the gp 4000 . The big plus for me is that they are easier to get on and off than the gp,s
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Got the 28mm 4S version on my Synapse, wanted the normal version but it’s all my LBS had in. Done about 3000km on them, two punctures, no signs of cracking on the sidewalls and feel fast and smooth. Definitely buy them again.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    they do everything pretty well and can be removed a bit easier than 4000s. I now use 5000s and they are better tyres all round but the P zeros are very good tyres.
  • daniel_b
    Thanks all,

I think after reading the posts above and also the fact that these come up large, so would likely struggle to fit on my CR1 anyway, I'll stick with the 4000s and 5000s.

Maybe the next interation will pull me across though :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    plus 1

Good tyres, not as good as tubeless, but sometimes tubeless is too much of a faff...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Daniel B wrote:
    Thanks all,

I think after reading the posts above and also the fact that these come up large, so would likely struggle to fit on my CR1 anyway, I'll stick with the 4000s and 5000s.

Maybe the next interation will pull me across though :-)

the 25mm's are smaller than 4000s (though not by much).
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 454
    Hi Daniel B.
    I’ve run the Pirellis and the Conti GP4000’s on different bikes as a direct comparison over the course of last summer and this.
    I’ve always been a massive fan of the Conti GP4000s as they have served me really well, being quick and with good levels of grip and puncture protection.
    I’d agree with all the statements above re the Pirellis being a good tyre.
    IMO the Pirellis have fantastic grip, especially in wet conditions. I came down off a Col in a biblical downpour on my Focus Cayo one evening last summer in the Alps and they were great. I got a soaking last night too and they performed well.
    IMO they come up smaller in 25mm than the Conti. They fit comfortably under the rear brake whereas the Conti is a bit too tight.
    Re wear - IMO the Conti probably just edges this although like others I have had the sidewall go on the Conti 4000 on occasion.
    Re punctures - in my comparisons they have both performed v well in this department. No difference.
    I’d say that the Pirellis are certainly the most comfortable of the two tyres feeling very supple every time I ride on them. To me the Contis feel as if they roll slightly quicker, but no great difference here.
    Price wise - With the intro of the 5000s the prices for the 4000s have been very good, although I see that you can now pick up the Pirellis for £31.99 currently with Merlin doing the 4000s for £27.50 so not a huge difference.
    Overall, I think both are great tyres given the state of our roads in Hampshire and how they deal so well with everything!
    I’d be happy with either on any of my bikes - I’ll certainly buy both again!