Any tips for first 100k

hadoken
hadoken Posts: 29
edited June 2019 in Road general
I have my first 100k coming up in a 4 weeks time, just wondering if anyone had any tips/advice? Having only ever ridden 45 miles maximum, and with limited saddle time (can only get out on Saturdays, so only 3 more rides before the big one,!) i think i may struggle! My usual rides average about 35-40 miles with an elevation gain of about 2400ft, the 100k I'm doing has about 3600ft elevation. I ride 45 miles last Saturday and felt like me legs wanted to give up for the last 10-15 miles! Any advice welcome!

Comments

• I have my second 100k tomorrow.
    I jumped from 50km to 65km and 100km in a little over a month and only have a some post ride IT band pain to show for it :p

Don't sweat it, your comfortable on your bike for long periods which is great. Feel free to jump off the bike every 25km for a few minutes to have a quick stretch of anything that feels tight and have a snack then head on refreshed.

You can do it.
  • essexian
    essexian Posts: 187
    My first piece of advice would be not to worry: if you can do 45 miles on a normal ride, the additional 16 should not be an issue, if you do it right.

I think the most important thing to do from the start is to pace yourself. I regret that often I ride like a greyhound trying (mostly unsuccessfully) to chase down slower riders. Forget it, ride at your own pace and if you are last home, who cares.

Secondly take plenty of water with you and food you have used previously: don't try anything new on the ride as it may upset you. For a 100km ride you shouldn't really need too much food but eat often to keep up your energy levels: few bars and some gels should do. However, if you get the need for coffee and a cake, stop and have such! This is not the Tour De France so no one will care. Also stop when you need to, for as long as you need to and don't forget to use the loo whenever possible. Please do not be peeing on people's property: I've seen riders do it and they need calling out for it! And take your litter home with you!

You don't say if this is just a single person ride/a sportive or an audax. If its a sportive or audax you might like to get in a group of riders who average the same speed as you do. Group riding is often easier than riding alone. However, do not get in the fast group if you are like me and often get overtaken by snails. This will only knacker you out!

Take some money with you just in case you or your bike breaks (best check it over before hand!) and you have to get yourself home via public transport. I failed to do this twice in the last five years and ended up walking 9 miles each time in cycling shoes/kit. It's not funny so avoid at all costs. Or, don't have a wife like mine who laughs at the thought of driving out to collect me.

Also when you get home/back to the car/ride HQ have a recovery drink/food before resting. It is important that you start to recover straight away. Also, while 100km should leave you able to function, if you feel sleepy and have to drive HAVE A SLEEP! I get considerably irritated when audax riders have knocked out a 300/400km overnight ride and then drive home. Please think before you do so, it may not be your life you are putting at risk.

Finally, it would be worth looking at CGN Youtube channel as they have some videos which give tips on longer rides.

Overall however, enjoy it and don't worry.
  • hadoken
    hadoken Posts: 29
    Thanks for the advice, this is my first spotif, which I have signed up to do alone. Only problem with group riding is, being a solo rider, don't really know much about group etiquette, and don't want to end up unintentionally being 'that guy'!
  • HaDoKen wrote:
    Thanks for the advice, this is my first spotif, which I have signed up to do alone. Only problem with group riding is, being a solo rider, don't really know much about group etiquette, and don't want to end up unintentionally being 'that guy'!

You'll find the dicks riding in little groups soon separate themselves from normal people riding. You can always strike up a conversation and ask if its ok to sit on someones wheel or join a group. Most people are friendly.

Just dont half wheel.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    definitely stick to a pace you are comfortable with, its very easy to get caught up trying to keep up with other riders at the start who maybe are quicker than you anyway, or who arent pacing themselves properly and will likely suffer later for it later, even if it feels like you are getting dropped, its always better to ride within yourself to the first rest stop as youll get the benefit later on when those who went too fast are seriously flagging.

eating and fuelling is such a personal thing, its no good saying eat this or only do this,all I can say is Ive stopped trying to mega carb load the day before and just try and eat a balanced mix of food in the week run up,and take enough with you to be self sufficient, I have done sportives where they ran out of food, or had a mix of stuff that I wasnt keen on eating anyway. I once did a sportive just eating a box of jaffa cakes Id brought with me :) I take gels but only for emergency energy if Im struggling, but be mindful they arent instant boost, you will see alot of people using them because theyve seen pros using them but dont understand how they help or work.

try to stay hydrated, use the rest stops, toilets as you need, certainly stay as long as you need to but dont overstay as lactic acid will start to build in your muscles the further you ride and you can get very achy and cold too if you hang around too long and its then difficult to get a rhythm going again. & stop when you need to, its not a race.

personally I always break down the distance into tiny goals, so I feel Im achieving something regularly, every 6.2 miles is another 10% youve completed on your way to 100k, once you are over half way, start counting down.

group riding, it can be quite organic how groups develop sometimes, you can find yourself in a group of similar speed to you and just end up riding along with them, or you might catch up a group initially but have to tag along as certainly I dont always have the overtake boost speed to get past them, just be sociable, dont half wheel etc, Ive never been asked or expected to take a turn on the front as even if they are club riders they dont usually run as a chain gang. alot of the time I often stick two or three bike lengths back from groups, you still get some benefit even if its actually saving energy as you are going at their speed.

above all have fun and enjoy yourself
  • glyno1
    glyno1 Posts: 11
    Don't do what I did. Plot the route to come out at just a tad over 100k only for my gps to proudly announce I completed 98.8k.
    :-(
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    My advice is look to the advice. I was a 99% mtb - short runs of about 20miles - but every day. I got a cheap road bike and did a few runs on the roads and went out and got lost - at about 80 miles and 5 miles from home after no water and food I hit the wall and just stopped dead - could not go any further - no phone or money - had to push the bike home and it took forever! All I really needed was a water bottle and some gels and I'd have been ok. I never bothered to take advice.
  • Groups on sportive events are not compulsory so you choose to ride in one or not.
    Food stops are not compulsory. Also you can stop where you choose whenever you want.
    If you can do 45 miles then the distance will be no problem. Play a mental game. 5 miles is half way to 10 miles and that's a quarter if your normal ride. No problem there. 10 miles and that's a quarter done and you are halfway to halfway on your normal ride. 30 miles done and you've only 10 miles left to finish your normal ride. Easy isn't it? Then after 40 miles you've only half as much again to do, and just watch the distance covered mount up.

Ride at whatever pace suits you. Stop where you want, when you want. For 100k you shouldn't really need more than a couple of gels or bars and a couple of bottles of decent drink.

Main thing is Don't Panic Captain Mainwaring. Relax. You can do it.
  • def_defyr
    def_defyr Posts: 93
    What got me, finally, over the 100 km hump was taking a proper 10 minute break around 60 km or so to stretch, drink and eat "real" food (just a high-protein/chocolate trail mix). I found that it "resets" my body clock and the next 40 km I feel a lot fresher.

I'd always felt guilty in the past that if I wasn't riding straight through then it wasn't a real ride...