Transferring Di2 hydro disc groupset to cabled hydro disc bike...

munkster
munkster Posts: 819
edited June 2019 in Workshop
OK, if I was to buy one of these...

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/115/produ ... AsvE8P8HAQ

...and wanted to swap out an existing Di2 hydro disc group ONTO it (in place of a conventially geared hydro disc group) what are my pitfalls would we say?

Groupset has to come OFF a bike first as well, the hydro hoses have some sort of junction thing which I am guessing from brief googling is to disconnect and reconnect more easily. I used to switch and shorten hydro disc hoses all the time when I used to do MTB so think I can cope with that, but guess I will have to disconnect something somewhere since the hoses run internally on existing bike.

On the new bike then, any ideas whether Di2 will just go on it without hassle or will I need to buy any new grommets or inserts for the electronic cables where conventional gear cables once went?

I am pretty confident about most of it, just wondered if there was anything I'd forgotten. Have never done internal routing (barring a single brake cable along the top tube of a Cervelo R3 and that doesn't really count I don't think) so that may terrify me more when I actually come to try...

Cheers!

Comments

• Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    i dont think theres anything to worry about though cable routing for cable actuated brakes is of course critical.

get the park tool routing kit. Enjoy!
  • munkster
    Surely Di2 cables will need different frame “stops” to stop it disappearing into the tubes versus hard stops for metal cable gears? Or won’t they? Or am I overthinking?
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    munkster wrote:
    Surely Di2 cables will need different frame “stops” to stop it disappearing into the tubes versus hard stops for metal cable gears? Or won’t they? Or am I overthinking?

ibelieve the caad 12 can be buiolt with either mechanical or electronic gears though youre right the grommets might change.
  • munkster
    OK ta. My link is for the disc SuperSix on this thread, I haven’t properly decided what I’m doing yet! (And it’s doing my head in a bit!!)