Shop doesnt take credit cards

mariamartinez
mariamartinez Posts: 94
edited June 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi, I am want to buy a new bike abroad from netherlands and ship a new bike to the UK. Its not available here in my size. I dont know the shop personally. Its rijwielshop-elfring nl . The purchase is not cheap and I would prefer credit card protection. However the shop says "we don't take cards". Further, and this is even more odd, they say "we have never been asked whether we take credit cards". Either something is odd with the shop, something is lost in translation or something is unusual in terms of payments in NL. Maybe the first because they have a tiwtter account but not posted since 2014.

anyone give any insights?

thanks

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Not taking card payments (especially on relatively high-value purchases) is extraordinary. Find another shop - the Netherlands is full of them...
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    What do they take, bank transfer? Western Union?

Steer well clear.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Maybe they think you are asking for credit?
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    find another shop. even bike.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    Sounds like a scam. I'd avoid.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    It’s not that uncommon in Europe. My local diy superstore doesn’t take uk credit cards.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I would say it is very uncommon, at least in Spain and France everywhere takes credit/debit cards. May be not so much in Germany where they are still pretty cash centric. I am not sure about the Netherlands.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    not having posted on twitter for years is probably a good sign
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Holland take 'pin cards' These are Debit Cards from local banks. I've had the same problems in supermarkets there.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,101
    as above, netherlands is a bit 'different' when it comes to payments, some places will only take local debit card payment, it's not a scam, it's just how things are

the website isn't written in multiple languages, presumably their focus is their home market, their choice, their rules, nothing wrong with that

you could try a curve card, this operates as a debit card as far as the payee is concerned, but the payment actually routes from curve back to your chosen card, which can be a credit card

there are also fx advantages using curve vs. many uk cards

depends on the transaction size, if you can't cover it with the free curve card, it'll cost you at least a month's fees on one of the paid versions, probably still worth it

email curve and ask if it should work ok for nl
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Out here in Portugal one of the most common shop window signs you will see is Nao Temos Multibanco, which basically means we don't take cards.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Why make a big purchase from a shop you've never been to ?
    It's only a bike. You can buy them anywhere. What's so special about the Dutch one ?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    can you not pop it on a Revolut card or similar? get around the credit card bit?

#revolutionary
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • perfectmark
    perfectmark Posts: 117
    Who makes the bike, normally you can find a UK distributor and get them to order the size for the specially? Otherwise I would make a weekend of it and pick it up yourself. Eurostar have some deals on to Amsterdam if you don't want to car it. I have trained it to Harlow, ferry to Hook of Holland and then trained around Holland before. You just need to check with the train company if you need to pre-book a bike on a particular line.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Two years ago on our family tour of Holland we found our cards didn't work. Most European countries operate two systems for cards we got told by a bank teller over there but Holland operates only one which isn't the same as UK one. Or something like that. Anyway UK credit and debit cards don't work Amex might though. We ended up having to operate off cash only and go to banks to get the money. ATMs didn't work iirc but the bank tellers could give you your money with a UK debit card. Would have messed our holiday up if they didn't do that. Just goes to show you need to research where you're going a bit better than we did.

Not a scam only Dutch way of operating. And I know a lot of companies (from UK based lbs to larger shops too with several stores) who have social media linked on their sites but they're years out of date. Means nothing other than the store doesn't see the benefit of social media to their business because they are too busy and/or do well without it.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    Shops that take small payments - supermarkets and such - tend not to take cards other than "PIN" cards in The Netherlands (I lived there for a 5 years)

For a bike shop not to take them though is unheard of. Further, given that you can't use those cards online as they don't have a 12 digit number on the front, for a webshop not to take them is extraordinary.

This feels very wrong. Avoid
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    ddraver wrote:

For a bike shop not to take them though is unheard of.

Not unheard of, on a trip to the Netherlands last year I visited a Wilier Punto Rosso shop:- https://www.italworks.nl/
    Fantastic shop, bikes worth 10,000euro+. Didn't take either my Mastercard or Visa Debit, had to go and draw cash from the ATM.
    Have had the same problem at times all over Europe, French Toll booths being the most annoying.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,568
    I bought some wheels from matt salden a few years ago. They were the same.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,101
    ddraver wrote:
    ...for a webshop not to take them is extraordinary.

baseless nonsense

it's not a "webshop", it's a web site, there is no online purchasing
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    Would you?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver