Forum home Commuter cycling forum Commuting chat

OT: coffee bags

ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 26,443
edited July 2019 in Commuting chat
I am organising an Audax and would like to move away from instant coffee, but I don't have the time and human resources to brew some proper coffee. Anyone has an opinion on coffee bags, as in the same thing as a tea bag?

• keef66keef66 Posts: 13,123
    No, but a few peeps here at work use ground coffee + aeropress which looks quick and easy
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,727
    Ugo, the few competitors bags I tasted at the gmc coffee pot when I worked there tasted pretty rank TBH. Because there's no pressure they don't seem to give the full coffee taste. Perhaps a coffee liquor might be worth a try.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • london-redlondon-red Posts: 1,266
    edited June 2019
    I am organising an Audax and would like to move away from instant coffee, but I don't have the time and human resources to brew some proper coffee. Anyone has an opinion on coffee bags, as in the same thing as a tea bag?

Pour over drip cup, filters + Rhino hand grinder, surely.

/edit - didn't see the problem of scale :roll:
  • Beg borrow steal a filter coffee machine, I'd take this over instant if proper coffee isn't available. I guess the only issue is the riders will be coming in fits and starts and a jug won't keep for long. Alternatively the Tassimo m/c coffee can be nice but not the cheapest option.
  • ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 26,443
    Beg borrow steal a filter coffee machine, I'd take this over instant if proper coffee isn't available. I guess the only issue is the riders will be coming in fits and starts and a jug won't keep for long. Alternatively the Tassimo m/c coffee can be nice but not the cheapest option.

That's the problem yes... they will arrive in a time window of 30-40 minutes... if bags are no good, I might just stick to instant...

So is there any instant on the market which is not rank? Any of these any good?

https://www.roastycoffee.com/best-instant-coffee/
  • GallywomackGallywomack Posts: 823
    I've used coffee bags before, they work fine but the end result was not appreciably different to instant tbh.

Surely Audaxers don't care about fancy coffee though?

Edit: If you're expecting a reasonable turnover of customers, two or three large cafetieres in rotation could do the job and would be a step up in quality from instant.
  • chris_basschris_bass Posts: 4,913
    someone bought me one of these for christmas and they are pretty good - instructions aren't the best but there are many videos on youtube of how to get the best out of it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AeroPress-82R0 ... th=1&psc=1

you may be able to find it cheaper if you shop around - that was just the first link that popped up
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • pangolinpangolin Posts: 3,968
    Coffee bags I've tried were not good.

Could you borrow a cafe style coffee filter machine from anywhere? Like a Bravilor with 2 or more of those glass jugs, you could get them all ready and rotate.

https://www.nisbets.co.uk/novo-coffee-machine/f454?vatToggle=incvat
    Genesis Croix de Fer
    Cube Attain
    Alternatively depending on the time of year you could make a big batch of cold brew?

Aeropress / V60 won't work for scale Chris
    Genesis Croix de Fer
    Cube Attain
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 24,670 Lives Here
    Surely Audaxers don't care about fancy coffee though?
    I'm with Ugo, it's a matter of national pride, an Italian really shouldn't be serving up instant coffee.
    Befriend someone with a mobile coffee van and bribe them.
    I'd be happy to send Ugo my Aeropress if it helps as I don't really use it any more, but I don't think it will do for the scale as mentioned.
    Budget is tight and I don't want to clutter the house with machines... also a machine will need manpower in excess of simply filling up mugs with boiling water from a hot tap.

No luck with upmarket instant?
    That's true, on an Audax I'd be thrilled with anything better than standard nescafe.

Starbucks Via was alright last time I had it - pricey at Audax numbers though.

Azera?
    Genesis Croix de Fer
    Cube Attain
    Never tried Azera, any good?
  • singletonsingleton Posts: 2,032
    You can make hot coffee from cold-concentrate - but it might run over budget.
    Never tried Azera, any good?

It's ok, only had it at relatives place now and then. Worth buying a small packet to try it out?
    Genesis Croix de Fer
    Cube Attain
    Singleton wrote:
    You can make hot coffee from cold-concentrate - but it might run over budget.

Is it not a bit chemical? I mean evaporating water to make a syrup and freeze drying to make a powder are in essence similar things
  • slowbikeslowbike Posts: 8,498
    The Azera Intenso is ok and there is an Illy instant I'm about to try ...
    Slowbike wrote:

Ha... Illy instant might look posh and be the ticket!
    this is quite nice:

IDShot_540x540.jpg

I don't have it as espresso though
  • slowbikeslowbike Posts: 8,498
    Slowbike wrote:

Just make it in a (whatever your preferred coffee maker is) and Bob's your uncle ... ;)
    Slowbike wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Just make it in a (whatever your preferred coffee maker is) and Bob's your uncle ... ;)

that reminds me of a pub i used to work in as a teenager that used to but really cheap ketchup in heinz bottles
  • k1875k1875 Posts: 485
    Think Starbucks Via sachets may be the answer here. Given the manpower concerns could you stick a sachet in a bunch of cups in advance and just let folk do it themselves?

They taste pretty decent tbh and I think most folk would see them as a more premium option than any of the instants in that link.
  • awaveyawavey Posts: 2,368
    those coffee bags are horrible, and I say that as someone who is prepared to drink instant decaf allday at work (its hot,it distracts & hydrates me and doesnt make my hyper so who cares its rank at work)

tbf on an audax, if its instant in a mug that would be fine I think, its horrid when they give you those tiny polystyrene cups and charge you £2, and the granules arent stirred in properly and barely any room for milk
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,727
    Ugo, when meeting up and finishing an Audax all I want is either a decent cup of tea with proper milk or a coffee, carte noire, nescafe gold blend, kenco, azera rather than cheap catering pack instant powder.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • tgotbtgotb Posts: 4,714
    What about those Rombouts filter things? I haven't used one for years, so can't comment on the quality, but it's plausible that they could be as good as normal filter coffee...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
    awavey wrote:
    those coffee bags are horrible, and I say that as someone who is prepared to drink instant decaf allday at work (its hot,it distracts & hydrates me and doesnt make my hyper so who cares its rank at work)

tbf on an audax, if its instant in a mug that would be fine I think, its horrid when they give you those tiny polystyrene cups and charge you £2, and the granules arent stirred in properly and barely any room for milk

Definitively no plastic cups and no charge for coffee
    k1875 wrote:
    Think Starbucks Via sachets may be the answer here. Given the manpower concerns could you stick a sachet in a bunch of cups in advance and just let folk do it themselves?

Nearly a quid a sachet is way too much. I can produce a meal for a quid
    50% off for Lavazza prontissimo espresso... £ 2.50 for a tin of 100g ... couldn't resist, hope it's decent
  • k1875k1875 Posts: 485
    k1875 wrote:

Good for you, so can I. They were in the link you posted. So is a jar of instant coffee that sells for 35 quid, so maybe park the snotty attitude.
    k1875 wrote:
    k1875 wrote:

Good for you, so can I. They were in the link you posted. So is a jar of instant coffee that sells for 35 quid, so maybe park the snotty attitude.

Calm down and have a cuppa
    Genesis Croix de Fer
    Cube Attain