Packable lightweight jacket. Advice olease

vince133
vince133 Posts: 61
edited June 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi. I am looking for a packable lightweight jacket. It is for road biking over longer rides 100 ish. So I am looking for recommendations for a jacket that I can put on for rain/wind protection if required. Any help appreciated. Budget is flexible dependant on suggestions. Thanks

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    edited June 2019
    Has to be shakedry for me -I've tried a variety of other jackets, gilets etc, and this material (in my experience, and from other reviews) seems to be the be all and end all.

Though I suspect some of it will depend on what you layer up with underneath.

There are 3 companies that use the fabric.
    Gore (Shakedry), 7Mesh Oro and Castelli with the Idro.

Smallest fit to largest fit would be: 7Mesh > Castelli > Gore
    Though the Gore is also coming in some more stretchey elasticated material in one of the models.

I was tempted by the Oro, but it seems to have stopped being made, so hoping they will bring out a new model.
    I have a hi vis shakedry in small, and it's a little spacious for me, but very usable and packable.
    Great wind resistance too.

if you get lucky in the sales the Gore can be had for circa £100 on the bay of e, or in a sale if you get lucky with discount codes, Millets, Wiggle etc.
    The idro is rarely discounted, and the cheapest I have seen the Oro is £170.
    It's not cheap, but then it appears to work - no DWR treatment to wear off.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yep. Shakedry.
  • neilkav1
    neilkav1 Posts: 91
    I had the same dilemma, needed a decent jacket for a 200 mile trip with lots of forecast rain. I couldn’t afford shakedry so went with the next best proposal as per a previous thread - Endura FS260 pro adrenaline race cape @£60.I have to say...wow... compared to previous mid range rain jacket, this was superb. Kept me dry during rain bouts of a couple of hours, and when it was cooler kept me surprisingly warm for such a lightweight jacket. Seams on arms were brilliant, and the neck comfort with a tight seam but with a strip of comfy fabric meant that no rain at all got in, but that there was zero discomfort or chafing. It was totally packable down to tennis ball size when not required.

Overall brilliant piece of kit, I will never be without.

Highly recommend.
  • aberdeenal
    aberdeenal Posts: 200
    Good to hear others views on jackets - I looked at the Gore but the colours are very limited ie black or black which put me off.

How dry does it really keep you?

If it's a very capable jacket I may revisit.
  • daniel_b
    AberdeenAl wrote:
    Good to hear others views on jackets - I looked at the Gore but the colours are very limited ie black or black which put me off.

How dry does it really keep you?

If it's a very capable jacket I may revisit.

I concur, that put me off as well (I ordered one from Millets\Blacks a couple of years ago and ended up returning it) - if you go with the Hi Vis, one you get some yellow bits though.
    Black and yellow is not a colour combo I've ever liked, but I have come around to it.

gore-c5-goretex-shakedry-1985-viz-jacket-black-neon-yellow-EV325694-8510-1.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2019-01-24-at-09.54.00.png

Note though that the yellow bits are not Shakedry material, but Gore Active - so not as full proof one could assume, although I think could stil be seen as one of the best non shakedry wise.

I gather that Gore are working on being able to colour the material, so there may be something on the horizon in the future.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • warrior4life
    warrior4life Posts: 925
    The shake dry is a great jacket but it is just a breathable Gore membrane with no protection at all.
    Usually there'll be a layer on either side so it lasts longer.

Your lifespan on this jacket will be 1-3 years. Gore do say "no back packs", they'll trash it in a ride or two.
    Even riding with it stored in a pocket will cause wear.

If it's used sparingly and sensibly its great be you need to be realistic with the lifespan.

I use a Rab flashpoint, its 3 layer, packs away small and has protected me for hours in the rain, it has a 20,000 hydratstic head.
    Only downside the hood but the goes over your helmet and it turns with you so doesnt cause any issues. Its worth checking out.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    neilkav1 wrote:
    I had the same dilemma, needed a decent jacket for a 200 mile trip with lots of forecast rain. I couldn’t afford shakedry so went with the next best proposal as per a previous thread - Endura FS260 pro adrenaline race cape @£60.I have to say...wow... compared to previous mid range rain jacket, this was superb. Kept me dry during rain bouts of a couple of hours, and when it was cooler kept me surprisingly warm for such a lightweight jacket. Seams on arms were brilliant, and the neck comfort with a tight seam but with a strip of comfy fabric meant that no rain at all got in, but that there was zero discomfort or chafing. It was totally packable down to tennis ball size when not required.

Highly recommend.

Yup.

Bought mine when just about to go on a trip to Italy, and was good for keeping out the wind, rain (and a couple of slightly snowy descents). For the price, is really exceptional, and doesn't have to be black. Packs down small.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    neilkav1 wrote:

Highly recommend.

I have the shell version of the FS260 and it is awesome. Bone dry even in very heavy rain and small enough to fit in a jersey pocket. Brilliant.

https://road.cc/content/review/187466-e ... o-sl-shell
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I've had 3 FS260 Pro race capes over the years, and they are great, but having owned a Castelli Idro for the past year or so have to say the shake-drys are in a different league.
  • daniel_b
    bobones wrote:
    I've had 3 FS260 Pro race capes over the years, and they are great, but having owned a Castelli Idro for the past year or so have to say the shake-drys are in a different league.

I suspect it is all relative to what you have used - I used to think Oakley were well over rated until I was gifted a pair for example.

I also have one of these, but not used it in anger yet, bought mine for £55.
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/assos-sjblitzfeder-long-sleeve-shell/

Only designed for light rain, but is a proper race fit, in XS, so have hung on to it, and mostly shelved the idea of getting an Oro.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • vince133
    vince133 Posts: 61
    Thanks for your replies. I think I will go for the Fs260. Seems to get good reviews. The Shakedry is obviously the leader but fir my use I think the FS260 will do. I can then put the money I save towards some new bib shorts :D:D
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    when i ride I sweat, Ive given up expecting to be dry dry so one that keeps me warm when the rain comes is all i need so now i use a 20 year old packaway karrimor, its tiny, it not really waterproof, it works perfectly, i.e. it keeps the wind off and some rain and it scrunches up very small and allows me to enjoy the ride. I think it cost £10. I'm not sure it does to overthink somethings.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I have the Assos Equipe RS rain jacket, I think it is harder wearing than the shakedry and comes in bright colours
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    when i ride I sweat, Ive given up expecting to be dry dry so one that keeps me warm when the rain comes is all i need so now i use a 20 year old packaway karrimor, its tiny, it not really waterproof, it works perfectly, i.e. it keeps the wind off and some rain and it scrunches up very small and allows me to enjoy the ride. I think it cost £10. I'm not sure it does to overthink somethings.
    Agreed. I use a Briko Piuma lightweight pack jacket from planet x £15 absolute bargain. Wont keep you dry but will keep wind off. I have the white version theyre excellent.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • when i ride I sweat, Ive given up expecting to be dry dry so one that keeps me warm when the rain comes is all i need so now i use a 20 year old packaway karrimor, its tiny, it not really waterproof, it works perfectly, i.e. it keeps the wind off and some rain and it scrunches up very small and allows me to enjoy the ride. I think it cost £10. I'm not sure it does to overthink somethings.

Listen, I need a £250 jacket to make all that suffering worthwhile.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles