SuperSix and CAAD disc comparisons?

munkster
munkster Posts: 819
edited June 2019 in Road buying advice
I have been wittering on another thread about comparing SuperSix disc and rim brake variants, but I am now giving some thought to a CAAD of some variety as a winter bike instead, the disc variety. Am I right in thinking that they are generally the same geometry as a SuperSix but in aluminium? If they have mudguard eyelets even better!

Anyone give me a potted history before I start my Googling? I note there is a CAAD "Ultimo" frameset on the 'bay, would be perfect assuming I'm not going to regret it...

Would be putting a disc Di2 groupset onto it in theory.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• The optimo is an entry level version and uses lower quality aluminium than the caad and so heavier
  • munkster
    Optimo sorry yeah. Any idea if Di2 would work on it? Appears to have a mix of internal and external routing?
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 454
    Hi Munkster,
    I’ve got an older CAAD 10 which I do love. They are quick bikes and I am always surprised about how comfortable it is each time I ride it . Mine is in the Liquigas colours and has a really good retro look. It’s a strong bike too.
    I should really sell it, but am loath to as do really like it even though not much ridden anymore!
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    According to the sizing charts on Cannondale's website the seatube is a tiny bit longer on the supersix but everything else is the same - I guess it just sticks up a bit more above the top tube.

What groupset were you thinking of? I couldn't see a supersix disc with 105 for example, but there is a CAAD12 disc 105.

Are you planning on going on gravel/mud or staying on tarmac? Only asking because there's also the CAADX which should give more tyre clearance if you need it, and the current models have hydro discs. However I'd expect the CAADX geometry is a bit different to the CAAD12/Supersix.

The current CAAD12 doesn't seem to have mudguard eyelets (my 2017 model doesn't have any), CAADX and supersix look the same. I've had no problems using SKS race blades on mine, but don't use it much when it's wet.
    One problem I've had using it in crap weather....where the internal cables go under the BB, there's a little hole so you can access the cables but it fills with crud and the cables gunk up. I've repositioned the inner sleeve of the cable to stop it happening but it would be nice if this area was covered up. Not sure if that's been sorted on newer models or the CAADX is better.
  • munkster
    I've got an 11 speed (6870 I think?) Di2 Ultegra groupset that I hopefully will put on whatever I get. All road riding, I don't go offroad these days, so not interested in the CAADX but good shout. If I'm mistaken about the eyelets then no worries, I use Raceblades myself (and have done for winter riding for a while) so I'd cope!
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    I recently picked up a caad12 disc 105 and no, they definitely dont have mudguard mounts, so you're stuck with crud catchers or race blades etc.

Lovely bike though. Rides really smooth...probably better than some lower end carbon tbh.
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    I'm on a disc CAAD12 and previously had a rim brake 'six. Can barely tell any difference between them in comfort or handling. One thing to watch out for if you already have the groupset ready to go is some (all? not sure) CAAD12s have both post mount front, and flat mount rear brakes. So you'll need an adapter. Also mines has QR rear and thru-axle front, for some reason. Really need to update that thread, lots of changes since then.

43963340842_c5b8823cbe_k.jpg