Clicking from cassette

davidw007
davidw007 Posts: 37
edited June 2019 in Workshop
Hi all,

After a bit of advice...

I'm getting a clicking sound coming from cassette / rear mech area of the bike.

I originally thought it was just an indexing issue but couldn't get it quite right. I eventually took it to a local store who tried different wheels, cassette and rear mech to try to get to the bottom of the problem.

Eventually they had to say they weren't sure and to try a warranty claim as it's less than 6 months old.

Before I go down that route I just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas what it could be.

I've uploaded a few photos and videos here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/LBy3UXiffXdHSg136

I'm the slow mo video you can see the chain jump at 9 seconds. And in the standard video you can hear the noise.

The only thing that wasn't checked is the chain (it's done no more than 1000 miles and looks in good condition) and the mech hanger. Looking at the photos the alignment definitely looks out but the store said that everything was OK?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• spekky
    spekky Posts: 16
    Surely the LBS would have checked the hanger if they have tried a new wheel cassette and mech? That chain looks very bulky and appears slightly offset - you haven't put a 10 speed chain on have you?
  • davidw007
    davidw007 Posts: 37
    Spekky wrote:
    Surely the LBS would have checked the hanger if they have tried a new wheel cassette and mech? That chain looks very bulky and appears slightly offset - you haven't put a 10 speed chain on have you?

I was with them when they were doing the work and they only eye balled the hanger, not checked with a proper tool.

The chain is what came with the bike so I don't think that would be the issue.

Plus the clicking is only happening on the 9th, 10th and 11th sprockets.