21 mile one way commute

slowmart
slowmart Posts: 4,481
edited June 2019 in Road general
So I’ll be a sweaty mess when I arrive and it’s an office environment with no shower facilities so any tips on not smelling like a sweatshop worker from early morning would be appreciated.
“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    A local gym membership can be had for under £20 month, they have showers and most of the cheaper ones these days are open 24/7.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Slowmart wrote:
    So I’ll be a sweaty mess when I arrive and it’s an office environment with no shower facilities so any tips on not smelling like a sweatshop worker from early morning would be appreciated.

Don't ride as hard... I cycle 12 to work and never shower (not even at home, but that's another story) but had a a friend who did 19 every day and never showered too.
    left the forum March 2023
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,809
    oxoman wrote:
    Ride in steady and baby wipes or strip wash in toilets if shower facilities aren't available.
    This.
    Although I did find it hard to go slow, but it did work.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,647
    Shower before you leave, that's the main thing. When you arrive, dDo what you can reach in a disabled loo (which will probably have a sink).
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I've almost never showered after my 17 miles in. I don't sweat too much on the bike and just take a towel into the loo.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Decent shower/bath in the morning before you set off, clean bike gear every morning, get in early so you have time to cool off before getting in your office clothes.

I'm fairly sure I'm less stinky than the average tube commuter. I'm certainly less stinky than I was when I got the tube in my work clothes....
  • davebradswmb
    davebradswmb Posts: 466
    I only do 10 miles but I do like to push hard sometimes. I wash my face and pits in the disabled loo and I nobody's complained that I stink - and they wouldn't hesitate to say something where I work. Merino wool base layers are a blessing when it gets colder, they aren't as comfortable as poly but you can use them for a few days without them getting stinky.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    As someone who went to a number of festivals in my wilder youth, i quickly learned the value of baby wipes! they will clean everything!

you can also get dry shower gel (it is like a bigger version of the hand sanitiser you can get but smells nicer) i tried it once it was ok at best.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • antonyfromoz
    antonyfromoz Posts: 482
    Some very good suggestions here but if you haven't already done so I also suggest you have a look in the commuting forum, especially commuting chat for some other commuter's experiences and ideas.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,875
    oxoman wrote:
    Ride in steady and baby wipes or strip wash in toilets if shower facilities aren't available.
    This and mine used to be 35 miles, last few miles sit up and soft pedal. Also helped it was pre 8am so not too warm.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I'm honking after 6 miles. I wear loose fitting cotton shorts and t-shirts rather than lycra, I'm not normally giving it too much effort either but my clothes are still normally sticking to me....I must be a right sweaty git compared to the folk on here.
    Being serious, I couldn't do your commute without a shower. I'd need more than just washing my pits with baby wipes.
  • davebradswmb
    davebradswmb Posts: 466
    w00dster wrote:
    I'm honking after 6 miles. I wear loose fitting cotton shorts and t-shirts rather than lycra,
    and that's where your'e going wrong, you want something breathable that will allow the sweat to dissipate rather than soaking it up. Get some proper kit, you will be much more comfortable and your work colleagues will thank you for it too.
  • Slowmart wrote:

Hi dude, ages ago my commute was about 18miles one way. I miss those days. So, my work at the time didnt have any shower facilities and the best thing was baby wipes. The Tesco ones are like a quid for about 100wipes or something. And something else that worked for me was one of those dry shower things. I forget the name of it but basically you rub yourself in it once you’ve wiped down with baby wipes so you dont stink like BO and then obviously your deodorant. :)

21mile commute is pretty decent. :)
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,426
    21 mile "ONE WAY "commute - well just how are you going to get home then???? :lol:

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    If it's any help I used to do the same, 21 miles each way with no shower facilities. Rule 1 was always travel light so no rucksacks full of clothes, take enough in once a week or so in the car. You'll need a break anyway so use it to ferry supplies in.

For being clean I used to roll up, make a coffee and log the ride on the computer whilst catching up on BikeRadar - this gives a bit of recovery time, no use having a clean up if you're still sweating from the ride. Then off to the disabled loo and a good strip wash with a flannel, squirty soap and a small camping towel to dry off. Then liberal use of roll-on deoderant. No-one ever complained, except for the smell of my sweaty togs but I had my own office so it didn't matter too much.

Bottom line is that if you sweat at all, you need to wash it away. Wet Wipes might work, a strip wash certainly does. Don't be like the woman I worked with who used to do a Power Walk every lunchtime and hummed all through the afternoon regardless of the weather. Sweaty pits in a working environment aren't good.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Try this:

https://www.secret-training.com/secret- ... race-wash/

Its a liquid spray, not dry, but you just spray on and towel off. I have it at work as back up (we have showers). It's also good for taking to events if you need to freshen up afterwards. The only tiny issue I have is that it's a pump-action spray, so won't work if you turn the bottle upside down to reach certain areas!
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    Some train stations also have bike park and showering facilities which are usually free or require a one off deposit for a key fob.
    Some towns also have bike parks that charge like £5 for the day secure parking but again with free facilities whichay or may not be cheaper than gym membership.
  • Cheeseface22
    Cheeseface22 Posts: 133
    21miles?!

What's that in total travel time?

That's around 1.5hr journey at ave. speed of 14mph... 3hrs commute everyday?!
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Electric bike?