Topeak Rack Qs

kovacsa
kovacsa Posts: 44
edited June 2019 in Commuting chat
Hi, Does anyone have experience with Topeak racks and bags? I'm looking to get the MTX TRUNKBAG DXP bag with one of the following racks. I have a hybrid bike with disc brakes, so I'm looking at disc brake model racks.

There's a lot of choice in Topeak racks, so I'm reaching out to anyone who has experience with them.

Considerations:

The DX models have a seperate bar for panniers, but I'm not looking to get full on panniers atm as the trunk bag comes with saddle bags that fold up when not needed. Do the bars on the DX models have any other use?

The "UNI" models have adjustable legs which seems like a good option as I'd like to set the legs lower as I've heard a lower center of gravity of better for bike stability.

I'm also little concerned with the saddles bags either fouling with the wheels or interfering with peddling. Anyone have experience with this?

Also, Anyone have any experience with the spings on Topeak racks?

I'm open to suggestions as well Thanks everyone!

UNI SUPER TOURIST DX (DISC)
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... t-dx-(disc)

UNI SUPER TOURIST (DISC)
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... rist-(disc)

SUPER TOURIST DX (DISC) (W/O SPRING)
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... t-dx-(disc)-(w-o-spring)

MTX TRUNKBAG DXP
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... unkbag-dxp

Comments

• wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    I've got the mtx dxp, now onto my second bag after 3 years commuting ( the first bag is 9 years old and did a sdw with me) and all my bikes have a quictrax rack.

I've got 4 disc versions ( not the uni), one none disc. one disc rack is with springs, I've never used them, but thought I would... Just extra weight to carry.

I've never had a problem with pedalling / foot collisions or issues with the bag going into the wheel with the drop down bags, the semi rigid casing holding the bags up drops down and assists with rigidity.

The uni is primarily to help with preventing interference issues with different wheel sizes : 29/700/26 etc; on 26" hardtail and 700c road/gravel extra large bikes I've not had an issue, and also use a under saddle bag; it's tight on the 26", but not really an issue
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • kovacsa
    kovacsa Posts: 44
    I've got the mtx dxp, now onto my second bag after 3 years commuting ( the first bag is 9 years old and did a sdw with me) and all my bikes have a quictrax rack.

I've got 4 disc versions ( not the uni), one none disc. one disc rack is with springs, I've never used them, but thought I would... Just extra weight to carry.

I've never had a problem with pedalling / foot collisions or issues with the bag going into the wheel with the drop down bags, the semi rigid casing holding the bags up drops down and assists with rigidity.

The uni is primarily to help with preventing interference issues with different wheel sizes : 29/700/26 etc; on 26" hardtail and 700c road/gravel extra large bikes I've not had an issue, and also use a under saddle bag; it's tight on the 26", but not really an issue

Thanks for the info!

Do you have recommendations for choosing a DX version (ones that have the panniers bar) vs a non-DX version of a rack? Which rack do you use now?
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    kovacsa wrote:

Thanks for the info!

Do you have recommendations for choosing a DX version (ones that have the panniers bar) vs a non-DX version of a rack? Which rack do you use now?

All my current racks are DX versions just by default.

However, I'm looking for a new one, and trying to make the same decision - do I need the side rail? - I regularly use the side bags for things like shoes and shirts - I can fit a 15.6" business laptop & pair of size 13 shoes in one side (at a push), and rolled up shirt/trousers & sandwich sized lunchbox in the other, with the trunkbag for fruit, socks, laptop power supply etc,

If you consider that the DXP version of the bag, with sides dropped is 22l in total, but a single pannier bag is typically 20 - 25L, so with a pair of bags you can fit 40-50L of stuff - if you think you might ever do a largish shop (It's amazing how much space a lettuce can take up ) or tour, I'd get the DX version - it adds 60g (1 1/2 chocolate bars) to the weight of the rack for a lot more potentially useful versatility - and you'd only swear if you have to replace it in future because you've not got it.

therefore, If it was only bike with a rack, I'd definitely take it -otherwise, I'd almost definitely take it, just because it's keeping the flexibility open.

Well, that's my take anyway.

PS - I've been considering the proper waterproof trunkbag (https://www.topeak.com/global/de/produc ... unk-drybag) and a waterproof pannier for winter commutes for a while - the pannier would only be used once a week, if that.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...