tyre pressure/weight

staituk
staituk Posts: 37
edited June 2019 in Workshop
hi, I have seen some videos where they comment on what there tyre pressures should be due to their weight.

how do I work this out, is there a rule of thumb

thanks

Comments

• david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Depends on tyre width also.
    Search YouTube for GCN, think they say 80f 85r in 25mm for a 70kg rider, then +1psi per kg.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    No help to you at all, but on La marmotte a few years ago, I had stopped at the valloire food stop and there was a Mavic service van there with a world weary mechanic who was responding to everyone using his track pump who asked with a world weary shout of "Sept" (bar).
    Half man, Half bike
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    There's a decent graph somewhere online. I know a continental mechanic doing neutral service told me to keep my gp4000s at 90psi.
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    It's just a starting point, try to find your own pressure based on the roads you ride. You shouldn't be bouncing or bottoming out from too low pressure but neither getting aches from too hard pressure.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    staituk wrote:
    hi, I have seen some videos where they comment on what there tyre pressures should be due to their weight.

how do I work this out, is there a rule of thumb

thanks
    Yes you give it a squeeze between your thumb and forefinger and if doesn’t compress it’s fine.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The idea is to pump them up enough so the bike rides well without getting pinch punctures due to low pressure or shaking you to bits due to high pressure. If you look on the tyre wall it has the recommended pressure range. If you are heavy start nearer the top if light start nearer the bottom. The manufacturers web sites can sometimes have a guide as well.
  • Bigapl
    Bigapl Posts: 5
    Being a larger rider 230lb on 25’s i started at 80 and got pinch flats 90 was better but seemed to just be dragging all the time, 100 was ideal not super rough and felt faster. Tried 110 but felt every crack and crease! This is with gator skins.