non creaky BB86 BB

philbar72
philbar72 Posts: 2,229
edited June 2019 in Workshop
Looking at getting both bikes BB86 bottom brackets replaced and both use the ubiquitous shimano press fit one at the moment

Questions.

1) is there a better reasonably priced one made by someone that doesn't give up the ghost quite as quickly?
2) should I maybe just stick with what I've got.... ?

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    philbar72 wrote:
    Looking at getting both bikes BB86 bottom brackets replaced and both use the ubiquitous shimano press fit one at the moment

Questions.

1) is there a better reasonably priced one made by someone that doesn't give up the ghost quite as quickly?
    2) should I maybe just stick with what I've got.... ?

The Wheels Manufacturing offerings seem to be well received

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wheels-Manufac ... B01N6BC27K

Not cheap but should provide the creakless outcome you seek
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    Are you sure it's the bb? Also had creaks and changed to a different bottom bracket but ended up being skewer that needed lube. Same thing on 2 bikes.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Wheels or similar are the mutts nutts. Like any other thing, make sure that you fit it yourself or the mechanic isn’t 14 years old or clueless.
  • philbar72
    zefs wrote:
    Are you sure it's the bb? Also had creaks and changed to a different bottom bracket but ended up being skewer that needed lube. Same thing on 2 bikes.
    oh yes. checked and greased and lubed everything. anyway its time for an upgrade! that wheels one looks good. does it need any special installation tools?
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    philbar72 wrote:
    zefs wrote:
    oh yes. checked and greased and lubed everything. anyway its time for an upgrade! that wheels one looks good. does it need any special installation tools?

In the Amazon listing the only question posed suggests that a Shimano BB installation toll is all you need to tighten the two parts of the BB together.

Not sure if that refers to the older larger size BB or the more recent smaller diameter BBR60 type. The tools and tool adapters are cheap and readily available if you don't have one
  • Nick Payne
    Nick Payne Posts: 288
    Between my wife and myself we have three bikes with the Wheels Manufacturing screw-together BBs for press-fit frames, and none of them creak (unlike the original junk that came installed in the frames). They also make versions with angular contact bearings instead of deep groove bearings.

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/bb86-92.html
  • philbar72
    NIck, they are the ones I'm looking at. thanks all for the inputs. appreciate it.
  • bradsbeard
    bradsbeard Posts: 210
    I have C-Bear in one bike and the Token screw together in the other. Neither make a sound.