Tubed wheel tip and tubeless question

oneoff
oneoff Posts: 29
edited June 2019 in Workshop
Hello,
My tubed wheel tip is a followup to the thread I started at
viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13079850&p=20131811&hilit=rim+tape+failure#p20131811
concerning rim tape failure.
While preparing my winter road bike I took the trouble to pack the spoke holes with a strip of clingfim about 4inches wide and the length of the roll. This mind numbing 2 hour process probably helped me achieve a puncture free winter. Your welcome.

My tubeless summer bike front wheel punctured in the rain today. The damage is a small rectangular hole about 2mm by 1mm. I tried to inflate the tyre but the sealent failed so being close to home I rode back slowly on the flat. This evening I tried again and this time inflated the tyre to 90 psi no problem.

My questions are, did the sealent fail on the road because of the rain? Secondly, I need to replace the lost sealent but now that the tyre is inflated can I regard it as repaired or is there a further fix I should apply?

Best wishes,

Comments

• stanthomas
    stanthomas Posts: 265
    That's quite a big hole but if it's holding air reliably I say it was ok provided you top up the sealant in the tyre. Possible sidewall damage would be more of a concern, depending on how far you rode on the flat.

Why didn't the sealant seal? It depends where the hole was on the tyre, what made the hole, which sealant you're using, how much sealant was in the tyre and how old it was. I've found that punctures in the sidewall are hard to seal up 'cos the tyre flexes as you ride but, if you leave it to sit for a few minutes it will seal up. And Stan' sealant is more effective than Hutchinson's. Don't think the rain had any effect, other than making you impatient to get home :)
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    sorry - you did what with the cling film?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 721
    sorry - you did what with the cling film?

This :?:
  • oneoff
    oneoff Posts: 29
    Thanks for your replies.
    I plugged it using the Weldtite tubeless repair kit. Any recommendations for other repair kits?

Best wishes,