Rear brake disc touching mount on the bike

Az1234
Az1234 Posts: 3
edited June 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
I just put a new axle on my rear wheel on a giant talon. Iv come to put the wheel on the bike and spin the wheel and now the disc brake is touching the brake mount on the bike. The brake disc hits off the mount and stops the back wheel moving. Anyone know what I have done wrong please ?

Comments

• Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    1. You've done nothing wrong.
    2. The disk cannot touch the brake calliper. The disk goes between the pads inside the calliper. It is almost inevitably the disk touching one of them. Try removing the back wheel and separating the pads using a brake block or a flad screwdriver (a BIG one) and pushing the pads apart so that they are as far back as poss.
    Re-insert the wheel and spin it. Squeeze tight on the brake lever 10 times or so to set the brakes.

If that does not work then you can adjust the calliper so that the disk is centered. Just loosen the bolts and eye the disk and move the caliper about til it is centered.
  • Az1234
    Az1234 Posts: 3
    Ok i have a go tomorrow thanks for advise make sense m8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There is no standard location for the disc, cup and cone bearing hubs tend to have the disc further from the frame than those with cartridge bearings and I've come across frames that will only take a hub that puts the disc further inboard making it incompatible with some wheels.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    If you have to move the caliper, then there is an easy and quick way to centralise it. This only works if the pistons on both sides are moving freely, but it's quick! :)

With the caliper very slightly loose, apply the brake. This should move the caliper to a central position either side of the disc. Then tighten the caliper clamping bolts a little bit at a time, alternating between them so that they both get tight together. If you do them up tight one at a time, you risk moving the caliper out of line again.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Is this a quick release wheel?

Used to annoy me that with my old bike until my newer bike had through axles.

Every so often you just need to realign the caliper. straight forward to do unless you have a slightly warped disc where then it becomes more trickier.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why is everyone commenting about the caliper when the OP clearly says MOUNT?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I wondered that too - thought I was missing something :-)
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    larkim wrote:
    I wondered that too - thought I was missing something :-)

usual guff spouted without listening to the problem.....

To the OP pictures would help in this instance