Bolt accuracy

david7m
david7m Posts: 636
edited May 2019 in Workshop
Hi
Every ride me and my mates have different elevation and average speed between my bolt, Garmin 820 and a Garmin watch. Identical ride I got 720m, Garmin 820 was 590m and the watch 323m. Clearly 2 are wrong.
I know the data can change a little when loaded to strava, but surely not that much.
The bolt and 820 are paired with speed and cadence sensors.
Any ideas?

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    There was a recent thread about elevation accuracy with a Garmin 1000

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13105446&hilit=Garmin+connect

One contributor suggested a potential issue with the Garmin Connect software
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    arlowood wrote:
    There was a recent thread about elevation accuracy with a Garmin 1000

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13105446&hilit=Garmin+connect

One contributor suggested a potential issue with the Garmin Connect software

Cheers. I might try a reset or plot on kamoot to see what the difference is.
  • zeee
    zeee Posts: 103
    david7m wrote:
    Hi
    Every ride me and my mates have different elevation and average speed between my bolt, Garmin 820 and a Garmin watch. Identical ride I got 720m, Garmin 820 was 590m and the watch 323m. Clearly 2 are wrong.
    I know the data can change a little when loaded to strava, but surely not that much.
    Any ideas?

On our club rides people with bolts always tend to have much different elevation than the rest with garmins. I don't think the bolts have an altimeter so rely on GPS for altitude/elevation. Not sure what watch you are using though.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Zeee wrote:
    david7m wrote:
    Hi
    Any ideas?

On our club rides people with bolts always tend to have much different elevation than the rest with garmins. I don't think the bolts have an altimeter so rely on GPS for altitude/elevation. Not sure what watch you are using though.

No, the bolt does. It uses a barometric altimeter.

Elevation is affected by multiple factors and no cycle gps is 100% accurate.
  • zeee
    zeee Posts: 103
    redvision wrote:
    Zeee wrote:
    david7m wrote:
    Hi
    Any ideas?

No, the bolt does. It uses a barometric altimeter.

Elevation is affected by multiple factors and no cycle gps is 100% accurate.

Ah OK I stand corrected. Not sure why they are so different to garmin then. I understand none are 100% but on a 60 mile ride we had 8 or 9 people using garmin all within 300 feet but the 2 people using bolts were 1000 feet difference to each other.