Lapierre Edge AM 827

Dawn Balfour
Dawn Balfour Posts: 41
edited June 2019 in MTB buying advice
I have this bike for sale in the classified ads so I don't want to lay myself open to accusations of a duplicated posting. But has anyone owned this particular model or been on one ? Two of my friends say it's a decent machine but their bikes are in the £2,000 plus category, I get the feeling it's slightly beneath them.

Any pros and cons would be appreciated.

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    edited May 2019
    I don’t understand your question. You are selling a bike but want opinions on its pros and cons.
    Also I can’t see the bike in the sale forum.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The bike is a prize won recently. I have a voucher to the value of £1,100 to choose a bike. The one I have mentioned is the most expensive available. You can actually pick a Lapierre of much lesser value but clearly there is no logic in doing that. As I have the item for sale on eBay I am following guidelines laid down on this site. I have therefore put it in the eBay section.

I could have made the purchase and then been much more specific. But I think it makes sense to let any potential buyer choose. Then he / she gets to make a saving AND get exactly what they want, not a compromise.
  • As JBA has pointed out above, this is a less than conventional sale. And I don't want to incur the wrath of the moderators by seeming to post my pitch in two different sections. But I have said in my ad' that I am more than happy for people to come to my house to go through the details of the sale. Or for me to travel to theirs. Bikes are expensive items and everyone needs to feel comfortable ( if you'll excuse the pun ).

I'll answer any other questions in the "proper" forum.

Thank you.

P.S I'd still like opinions on the bike though. There's every chance it wont sell. In which case it'll be no great hardship to actually use the thing. I'm in the Lakes District every six weeks or so on holiday ( and I strongly recommend the Hobbit Holes on the Quiet Site, Ullswater. Especially if you're a dog owner ). A nifty new machine would get good use.
  • Well it looks like I'll be writing my own review. Because the bike didn't sell even with a whopping £400 off. Crikey, austerity certainly rules out there, what a tough, tough environment it must be for retailers. So you might see me whizzing down Little Mell Fell if you're in the Ullswater area any time soon. Better stock up on the sticking plasters and bandages !!
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    According to Guy Kesteven, one of the best known and respected bike reviewers, this is a good bike. See his video review as he rides the bike.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6940kHNgGY

If the bike fits you, keep it and enjoy.

As you are new to mtb, this bike will allow you to learn and have fun at the same time. After a while, you might think start thinking about a different bike. But by then you will know what you want different. I wish I had started with a bike as good as this one.
  • Brilliant. Thanks for that Steve. I've had all sorts of bikes down the years, mainly rubbish I have to admit. It's just now that I've cut my working hours and are less inclined to long haul flights that I'm thinking of taking up mountain biking more seriously. As I mentioned previously, we spend a lot of time in the Lakes District and Scotland will come into the picture more and more.

Don't get me wrong. If I could have sold the bike I would have done. And persisted with the machines I have. But as you say, not a bad piece of equipment to enter the sport / hobby a bit more earnestly.

Thanks again, appreciated.
  • Astonished. Just won this competition again. His 'n' Hers. And it's still got two months to go !!!
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    What? More bikes?
    Which comp is it?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Yep, more bikes. Great competition. There's your project for the week. If a mountain bike section of a cycling forum can't track it down ( and it was actually promoted on mainstream TV at peak time ), then I will shake my head in disappointment and disbelief.
  • Soreen? :?:
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)