Cant index 10 speed after broken spoke replacement?

tonysj
tonysj Posts: 391
edited May 2019 in Workshop
Hi All,
I broke a spoke in the rear wheel last week and replaced it trued the wheel to within 1 mm but the indexing has somehow done well out.
I've tried to index it and the best I can get is smooth down changed ( up the cassette to easier gears ) but coming down the cassette into higher/harder gears it will skip the 7th and then on the next change jump into the 5th missing the 6th, same with 3rd and will jump into 2nd..
The cable is fairly new only done 600 miles of dry roads, its on my Summer bike, and I haven't dropped it, hit the RD and the hanger looks OK as it should do having presented the issues only after changing a spoke.
I'm struggling, with my limited spannering so any advice more than welcome.

Regards.
Tony.

Comments

• lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    the spokes dont affect the freehub in any way, so thats rather odd conicidence
    My money would be on derailleur hanger bent, but you can check these things too -
    Take wheel off, check for play in the freehub by wiggling the cassette
    Check the derailleur bolt is secure
    Check there isnt anything interfering with the gear cable along its length, including inside the shifter if its an STI lever.
    Refit the wheel and check if the gears are working ok, sometimes just taking it out and back in again can be enough to sort the problem.
    Borrow/buy a mech hanger tool or take it to a shop and ask them to check it for you.
    I bought a lifeline one as they are very handy to have.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Did the spoke break because it was clipped by the derailleur cage over-shifting?
    Check the hanger and limit screws before it happens again and causes more damage!
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • mankybianchi
    mankybianchi Posts: 117
    Did you remove the cassette in order to replace the spoke and if so, have you checked that you tightened the lock ring correctly?
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    If you haven't done so already, I would remove the rear derailleur inner cable and check for broken strands etc. If the gears are faltering when moving from low (large sprocket) to high (smaller sprocket) it suggests that the derailleur spring is being prevented from pulling the cable smoothly through the outer at some point. Make sure it is lubricated before re-assembly.

After that I would go back to square one and re-check the limits screw settings and then do a basic indexing as set out in the link below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkZxPIZ1ngY

Will only take about 15 mins or so and should get you back in shape assuming no major issues with hanger alignment as suggested above
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,699
    Did you remove the cassette in order to replace the spoke and if so, have you checked that you tightened the lock ring correctly?
    This, and are any spacers that were on there beforehand still fitted?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Veronese68 wrote:
    This, and are any spacers that were on there beforehand still fitted?

this and have you done anything random like put two sprockets next to each other and missed out the spacer between them?

#toocloseforcomfort
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • tonysj
    Svetty wrote:
    Did the spoke break because it was clipped by the derailleur cage over-shifting?
    Check the hanger and limit screws before it happens again and causes more damage!
    Spoke just went ping as I was cycling seated up a hill, did not contact the RD.
  • tonysj
    Yes I took the cassette off as the replacement spoke was awkward to get in with it on.
    Will check the locking ring and spacers but fairly certain it went back together correctly.
    T
  • tonysj
    arlowood wrote:
    If you haven't done so already, I would remove the rear derailleur inner cable and check for broken strands etc. If the gears are faltering when moving from low (large sprocket) to high (smaller sprocket) it suggests that the derailleur spring is being prevented from pulling the cable smoothly through the outer at some point. Make sure it is lubricated before re-assembly.

After that I would go back to square one and re-check the limits screw settings and then do a basic indexing as set out in the link below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkZxPIZ1ngY

Will only take about 15 mins or so and should get you back in shape assuming no major issues with hanger alignment as suggested above
    I'm going to remove the wheel again and recheck everything, cassette lock ring, spacers, RD hanger etc refit and see if its slightly out when I originally refitted the wheel with the new spoke as this issues surfaced straight after changing the spoke.
    Failing that I will check the cable and then clean the RD in case its the gung on the spring.
    Thanks All will update you later after I've gone through the above.
    T
  • tonysj
    Well chaps I removed the wheel checked the cassette lock nut but decided I would take the cassette off and clean it. Put it back on again and put the chain on second to highest ( smallest ) gear on the cassette and re-tensioned the cable at the RD.
    Well its back to near perfect again so it must have been the lock nut on the cassette even though to the the eye it looked fine.
    Thanks to all who suggested possible remedies all sorted now.
    Regards.
    Tony.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Lucky not to strip its thread... we are talking lockring here as opposed to locknut? are we?
  • tonysj
    JGSI wrote:
    Lucky not to strip its thread... we are talking lockring here as opposed to locknut? are we?
    Yep lock ring must have been slightly wrong or the gear cogs not seated properly. It did look ok but obviously something was a miss. All sorted anyway.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,699
    Glad it’s sorted, if only everything was so simple.