Going Spinal Tap with Shimano 105 R7020

redvee
redvee Posts: 11,922
edited May 2019 in Workshop
Looking to hang some of this on my London Road frame and replace the old 5700 105 transmmission currently on it.
I know I'll need
    Shifters
    Callipers
    F & R mechs
    11speed cassette
But can I still use the current R565 chainset? All the places I looked at last night don't have stock with a 170 50/34 chainset option but do with other chainset options.
I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.

Comments

• akh
    akh Posts: 206
    You'll also need to use an 11 speed chain. They're slightly thinner overall than a 10 speed chain (by about 0.5mm). This thinner width is achieved with thinner plates, the inner width between the plates is the same, but shaving a bit off the plate thickness results in a slightly thinner overall chain.

The good news is that as the internal dimensions are the same, it'll work fine with your current chainset. I've used 10 speed chainsets with 11 speed chains with no issue. The 0.5mm difference isn't enough to let the chain get stuck between the front chainrings. If you use a chainset designed for even wider 9 speed and below spacing it might be an issue, but not between 10 and 11.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    it'll be fine.

#crackonfella
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I agree ,your chainset will be ok. I would try using your 10 speed front mech before I replaced it and what brakes do you have that you will need calipers?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Front mech will be fine. Its just a front mech.

You are correct that to get 100% braking power and modulation you'll need the matching groupset calipers but two variables: your existing ones may match fine and any calipers work fine, just not wonderful due to pull ratio thingies. So, as Les said, try before you buy.

#crackonfella
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    lesfirth wrote:
    I agree ,your chainset will be ok. I would try using your 10 speed front mech before I replaced it and what brakes do you have that you will need calipers?

Current fron mech is a 5700 so the pull ratio will be different and the callipes on the bike currently are TRP Hy:Rd. Want to go upto 11 on London Road and going hydro at the same time makes sense, only thing I might struggle with at home is setting the brakes up.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.