Clicking sound from chainwheel area

Carnmore
Carnmore Posts: 23
edited August 2019 in The workshop
There's a clicking sound with each revolution of the chain wheel of my 2 year old Cube SL Road Pro when riding only. 

When on the bike stand it doesn't click and all the chain links are moving freely; one of the chain links has been replaced.

Does anyone know what this might be?

Comments

• wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Carnmore wrote:
    There's a clicking sound with each revolution of the chain wheel of my 2 year old Cube SL Road Pro when riding only. 

When on the bike stand it doesn't click and all the chain links are moving freely; one of the chain links has been replaced.

Sounds like a bottom bracket issue to me - Is it always at the same point in the revolution?
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • jeddy11
    jeddy11 Posts: 16
    HI

In my limited experience, i had a creaking / clicking noises which sounded like coming from BB after reading up on it i re-torqued brake rotors / seat post etc and greased pedal shafts and greased thru axles which cured the noises.

I personally beleive greasing and tightening the thru axles cured it but the morale of the story was that i was sure it was BB but it wasn't !

Carnmore wrote:

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Are all the chainring bolts tight? Sometimes helps to remove them and grease the points where they contact the chainring, then replace them with a tiny bit of threadlock, tightening to the required torque.

Failing that it could be the BB, the driveside crank to spindle interface, or pedals / cleats / shoes.

Or the noise could be coming from somewhere else entirely: a QR skewer / headset / saddle / seatpost issue...

I once spent most of a charity ride thinking the squeak on the downstroke was a harbinger of a failing BB till I realised it was the saddlebag straps I'd lashed round the saddle rails
  • Carnmore
    Carnmore Posts: 23
    Replaced the chain and the clicking sound has now gone!

It's a 9 speed rear mech and there's a problem selecting the smallest cog - there is a delay then the chain jumps. This was happening before I replaced the chain so I fitted a new gear cable. I've also lubricated the derailleur.

Any ideas how this can be fixed?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds like it just needs basic indexing (high stop) adjustment.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.