Giro 2019, Stage 14: Saint Vincent - Courmayeur 131 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    If there was any strategy behind MS being in the break, it's not worked.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,898
    Yates making a better fist of things.
    It's all a bit of a grind. Lopez and Nibali trying a few digs.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mrfpb
    edited May 2019
    Yates seems to dropped behind the Pink Jersey. Losing time (again) to Nibs/Roglic/Landa group.

Edit: Not as bad as I thought, 21 secs, but still in the wrong direction.

Ciccone hanging on to try for some more KOM points
  • blazing_saddles
    Carapaz! This time it counts.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Kicking off now!
  • mrfpb
    Welsh commentators don't have Welsh word for Superman.
  • mrfpb
    So, who's the best descender in this leading group?
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Oooo finally caught some cycling.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    Did we just get a donkey making noise then?
  • blazing_saddles
    Yates joins up as the chase of Carapaz stalls.
  • blazing_saddles

No you, so no cows, horses or donkeys this Giro..
  • mrfpb
    There were goats - Ibex with hoooge horns.

Yates managed to connect during the ad free ad break on S4C, and now seems to be pressing on ahead of the chasing group. Did they crack?
    Carapaz over a minute ahead of everyone on the last climb.
  • mrfpb
    Yates attacks!
  • blazing_saddles
    Poor Caruso can't even get himself dropped. :lol:
  • mrfpb
    Carapaz riding in to pink?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,864
    Great ride by Carapaz, stage and pink and Yates looking like he is coming into form albeit too late. Seemed to have learned how to pace himself better on the big climbs. Nice to see Dombrowski riding so well too.
  • blazing_saddles
    Carapaz new leader. Landa will be experience Sky deja vu.
    Nibali hammers Roglic by 4 bonus seconds.
  • Pross
    Reasonable stage, started off like a classic then fell asleep but the favourites were on their own with a long way to go to the finish. A bit of a lack of attacking between them but they were all pretty much on the limit I suspect. Roglic riding like Quintana at the moment.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Vai Yates!

Finally some signs of life from him.
  • bobmcstuff
    Pross wrote:
    Reasonable stage, started off like a classic then fell asleep but the favourites were on their own with a long way to go to the finish. A bit of a lack of attacking between them but they were all pretty much on the limit I suspect. Roglic riding like Quintana at the moment.
    I think Roglic needs to ride defensive, surely?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 17,055
    Surprised Yates did that ride. Class. Carapaz had winner written all over him from the start of the day
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Zakarin and Mollema showing once again that they won't win a GT. As good as any one day then bad the next.
  • blazing_saddles
    At this stage of the game, Carapaz looks to be climbing as well, if not better than anybody.
    He also has possibly the strongest team in the race.
    Could be hard to shift.
  • Pross
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Pross wrote:

He hasn't really got much in hand on Nibali though has he. Seems a bit early to be defending a lead, especially as he's allowing others to gain time in the process.
  • above_the_cows

No you, so no cows, horses or donkeys this Giro..

Italian donkey...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEVfJtK6frKQX_EtCAOiWd7GdnnBpfi3eN7cv13qgtuAGRY-Tb
  • bobmcstuff
    Surprised Yates did that ride. Class. Carapaz had winner written all over him from the start of the day
    It was when he clipped onto the bigger group and you could see him looking round at all the riders, then joined the back of the group - you could see he was feeling ok.

For me when he attacked he spent far too long looking backwards for him to be truly on form - if he was properly flying he would not have looked back.
  • blazing_saddles
    It's pretty obvious that Jumbo don't yet want Roglic in Rosa, but that Nibali most definitely does.
    Lose the battle, win the war kind of thing.
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Pross wrote:

He hasn't really got much in hand on Nibali though has he. Seems a bit early to be defending a lead, especially as he's allowing others to gain time in the process.

Just realised the gap is much bigger than I thought so marking Nibali does make sense I suppose. The danger is he gets mugged by someone like Carapaz.
  • mididoctors
    Roglic is in a good position. But he can't let carapaz do that a couple more times before the TT
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    What sort of time can roglic pull back in a 17km TT?... Carapaz seems to be in a class of his own going uphill so it's down to nibali and Bahrain to limit the time for roglic? Which despite all of his talk nibali may do.