Tyre longevity - GP4S

2»

Comments

• PMark
    PMark Posts: 159

Another 4 Season issue - went to ride the bike yesterday and checking the tyres I noticed that the front has a crack in the tread that goes around the whole circumference (top photo is the worst section and bottom is the least affected, but it covers whole tyre)

This tyre has done under 2000km and wasn't ridden much during the lock-down year, back on the bike at beginning of Feb. The back is the same age and has a few flint marks but nothing like this. Has anyone else come across this?

I have just put another set on a second bike and LBS is £59.95 per tyre - seeing this, I wish I hadn't!

I have noticed the tread on my GP4S seems to disintegrate after about 18months of all year use. But nothing like that, I would of thought something must be rubbing against the the tyre to get that.

Despite the issues with the GP4S, I haven't found a better winter tyre yet. The Gatorskins are a bit too hard for my liking. Michelin punchered too much, the Durano's are quite good, but their life seems less than the GP4S. The Cont GTs aren't quite hard wearing enough (although don't have the tread breakup issues). Looking to try the new Pirelli road tyres next though (meant to be their version of the GP4S).
  • I used to use Vittoria's ..... but I got so confused with their rebranding I thought I'd try Conti's. GP4000 lasted longer than the Vittoria's, from just observation Vittoria's cut quite easily. I also think the cheaper Vittoria's I used in winter Pro Tech's were a good deal less grippy.

I got a new wheelset in the Autumn, Parcours Strade, and put Conti TL 5000. They feel like my old Vittoria racing tubs, wonderful, but they are ripping to shreds. I think they may get to summer.

I also use this website as the tyre bible:
    https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/