tubeless tyre seating

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 848
edited May 2019 in Workshop
So I was going to post asking for advice on seating a Gavia AC tubeless tyre to my SLR propel wheel, but removing one layer of slightly ripped rim tape seems to have helped (and I just pray it holds and doesnt need another layer).

Now that it's on the rim, I can see a couple of very small wiggles as it spins so it's not 100% perfect but close. I havent added sealant yet so will need to deflate and add later but would like to know if there are any tips for it to be roll even better?

Tested as is (at 90psi) and was fine last night after a test ride and again this morning.

Comments

• lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    ride it at lower pressure on a flat surface to get it seated more centrally then add sealant through the valve.
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    If it wiggles it hasn't seated completely I think (it will also be visible on the seams found on the side of the tire). Some tubeless tires need more air to seat properly, try to use your wheel's max allowed then after all the beads pop in you can deflate to desired pressure.
  • chatlow
    it's not much of a wiggle to be honest, but still bugging me. Yeah, for seating I have been aiming to keep the line around the rim edge as close to even as possible. It's mostly there. have tried inflating to max a a few times and riding on it at lower 40-50 briefly, but still the same.

Might be the best I get it.
  • zefs
    If the seam line around the tire edges is not following the circumference of the wheel all around then I think it hasn't popped at that spot, can you post an image?
    I had to go over my wheel's max by 20psi to seat my current tires, if you want to try that use some ear/eye protection just in case (20psi shouldn't be a problem but depends on the tire/wheel combination).

Also, are you sure the wiggle is not coming from the wheel? (out of true)
  • chatlow
    the seam line is almost perfect, part of it is ever so slightly further down in the rim, but not obvious. i will try and take a vid of the wheel spinning and see if you think it's the wheel or tyre. thanks
  • chatlow
    quick 30 seconds showing the slight wobble. let me know if it's worthy of more attention before my race on the weekend :-)

https://vimeo.com/338670699

Spun a little faster in this one:
    https://vimeo.com/338671590
  • zefs
    Unless you hit a pothole hard it's not the wheel so I would inflate at higher pressure until the tire seats correctly because it shouldn't wiggle like that (you mentioned the seam line is further down on one spot). Mine was similar until I inflated to about 120psi (not sure the max pressure for your SLR wheels but go a bit above that to see if the tire pops in). Does it happen on back wheel?

Unless the rim tape is to blame, not sure if it could cause that.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I would deflate the tyre, get the bead away from the rim, put some soapy water around the rim/tyre bead and inflate until I heard the tyre pop onto the rim.
    I am not talking from a position of great wisdom, It's just what I would do. :)
  • chatlow
    yeah, I'm not comfortable racing with it like it is. Spent the morning deflating, and re-seating using washing up liquid, then some sealant but this time, it won't even pop on let along seat evenly.

For now, I've fit my folding gatorskins - which by the way needed 110 to also pop the bead :-/

It runs perfect now, no wobble, so I may just leave on for this weekend. Shame as my rear tyre using the older Gavia SLR (race) had no problems.