Mount Pantokrator - Corfu

ribbo
ribbo Posts: 35
edited August 2019 in Tour & expedition
I'm heading to Corfu next week, staying around Agios Stefanos.

I can see that Mt Pantokrator is right next door so it would be rude not to cycle it a few times - has anyone got any experience of cycling it or around Corfu? In particular, the best route up Mt Pantokrator.

I'm looking at S-Bikes to hire so if any has any prior experience or other hire experiences it would be great to hear.

Cheers

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519
    Pick your route carefully, it’s a mother.
    I took the route out of Ipsos, not wise.
    Try from the north.
  • ribbo
    Gethinceri wrote:
    Pick your route carefully, it’s a mother.
    I took the route out of Ipsos, not wise.
    Try from the north.

Good to hear :lol: - it's a mother, as in its hard climb, or as in its a horrible road up?
  • phippss
    phippss Posts: 96
    I did it a few years ago. Set off early in the morning to miss the heat. Was rewarded as the summit was empty, during the day there are lots of tourists and hire cars. Roads are OK but the driving can be erratic. Nice climb steepish in parts but doable. Hires bike from s bikes good service and helpful. :D
  • ribbo
    Thanks for the advice all.

We hired from S-bikes who were great. Took the Northern route which the guys at S-bikes advised against as it is steeper than the other routes! Turns out it is pretty steep at the start and then at the end...

Good climb though. Got to the top in cloud though so no views for us!
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519
    Glad you enjoyed. Hope Corfu was to your liking.
  • k3vinjam3s
    k3vinjam3s Posts: 266
    Hoping to climb it next month.

Have bike hire booked in with s bikes too.

Staying in dassia, only riding a few days as famiky hols, hoping to get out as early as i can for 40 to 50 mile rides.

Anyone have any routes they suggest, noticed on google maps some of the roads arent great and dont want to get stuck on a gravel track on a road bike.
  • ribbo
    https://strava.app.link/Sj3SDCjV7Y

That should show you the quick ride we did. All the roads up to almost the summit were fine to ride one, not perfectly surfaced but not a problem.

Once you get near to the top the road does become a bit rough and it's got channels cut across the road so it is a bit of a pain to ride on.