Can I pick your brains please? =)

danyolb
danyolb Posts: 14
edited May 2019 in MTB buying advice
Evening Guys,
First things first, I'm looking to get a used bike around £500 region which will be decent enough to use for down hill such as Winlatter (Cumbria Tracks), some mountain biking, and also be usable for the odd bike rides out in the lakes. (i.e I don't want a bike which is only good for downhill). I think Id prefer full suspension, I done a lot of dirt jumping as a kid until around 16 years old when I stopped so believe I wont need a hard tail to train on - as I'd probably need to upgrade after a short time?

Open to any suggestions as I know nothing about bikes, what things to look out for, avoid? Decent brands, types, models?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank You

Comments

• larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Whinlatter isn't "downhill" is it?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    OP- do you want to ride down hills or Down Hill?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • danyolb
    JBA wrote:
    OP- do you want to ride down hills or Down Hill?
    Thanks this is exactly my point I know nothing :roll:

So whin latter tracks are only down hills not true down hill? How about down some steep fells up the lake district too. If that's the case a bike which will do these things comfortably maybe an enduro bike or something?

Thanks for replying and promoting my definition of down hill. If I get good I'd like to progress to tracks with good jumps on
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Full sus and £500 - albeit second hand sounds risky. My suggestion is to open your mind to hard tail and I'm sure you can get a reasonable one for that price. Go and have a look in Halfords Voodoo and Boardman, and do have a look at the 29 inch bikes. That can help to narrow down what you want then try and get one second hand. Getting to know how to fix and upgrade is important and because there is a lot on U Tube then you are limited only by your own confidence. Your past experience will be useful and to be honest any bike will do to get you started on the trails.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    You'll struggle to get a sensible 2nd hand FS bike for £500. You could easily spend another £500 sorting it out.

If you know of a FS bike that's barely used etc then you might find one but it can be a lottery.

Getting a HT is a good shout as it gives your greater choice at your price point, albeit it's not a FS. I don't know the terrain that you will be riding so hard to know if a HT is viable.

Or save up more money and get an entry level FS for c.£1000.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • croptonboy
    croptonboy Posts: 164
    I only paid £450 for my 2015 Giant Trance, all it needed was a back brake bleed. Perhaps I was lucky and it was a bargain, but bargains can be had...
  • geomickb
    geomickb Posts: 147
    Just get a Voodoo Bizango, it will do everything you want.

I don't think you need full suss, just a HT trail bike will be fine.
  • danyolb
    edited May 2019
    Thanks 8)
  • danyolb
    At what point does a HT become outgrown and a FS required? What severity of course etc? Thanks

What about this
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2438945922
  • Lagrange
    You are asking a question about transition from HT to full suspension. All downhill racing is done on FS. Where you are predominately on road it would be HT. I'm on tracks and trails and use a 29 inch HT but see some people on FS.

The bike you have shown has 100mm forks which commonly would not be used on downhill racing.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    No one has mentioned dh racing, Lagrange.

Danyolb - in theory anything can be ridden on a ht. It comes down to the riders skill and bravery.
    For the riding you describe I would suggest a good ht is better than a poor fs. There are some good second-hand deals about but you have to be lucky to get them.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • danyolb
    JBA wrote:
    No one has mentioned dh racing, Lagrange.

Danyolb - in theory anything can be ridden on a ht. It comes down to the riders skill and bravery.
    For the riding you describe I would suggest a good ht is better than a poor fs. There are some good second-hand deals about but you have to be lucky to get them.

Thanks for the responses everyone, is this bike any good please?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CUBE-AMS-125 ... SwTwpc1vAN
  • Lagrange
    Wat is the specification of the bike?
  • danyolb
    Unsure, I've reconsidered and a new one on a finance deal would be more appropriate, Halfords do finance deals, however I like the Calibre Bossnut but Go Outdoors dont do finance :( - anywhere else to look for a decent one on finance around £1k? I'm unsure if its worth going HT or not... Im worries itll limit me