Garmin 1000 elevation not accurate

vince133
vince133 Posts: 61
edited May 2019 in Workshop
Hi

My garmin edge 1000 appears to constantly give low recordings of elevation gain. About 20% compared to other devices that are recording the same route. I have read some forums and have manually set my home elevation. Are there any other things I can do to rectify or is something I need to live with. I appreciate devices will vary. Last week most people did between 5700 and 6100 ft of climbing and my edge recorded 4900.

Any suggestions appreciated

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Garmin's are known for their 'highly accurate' elevation readings. Mine has shown -25m when the bike is outside my first floor flat. I don't pay much attention to elevation readings.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • PhilipPirrip
    PhilipPirrip Posts: 616
    The elevation accuracy with the in-built barometric sensor can suck particularly in the wet.

I'm sure you've read about how to enable Elevation Corrections - Garmin Connect on the web, righthand side of activity page under device image - and that's about it for correction through Garmin. I'll correct when using the Edge in the damp/wet and when using my Vivoactive to record rides, otherwise I leave as is.

Two annoyances with the elevation correction function; it doesn't appear on the app and there's no automatic setting, you have to set it manually after each ride.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    My Edge 200 also records about 20% less than others and probably 50% less than a Wahoo. I like it that way, makes me look weak on Strava and make others look heroes... then reality kicks in when I take them for a spin in the Cotswolds and they find out their previous rides were flat indeed and their 19 mph rides were nothing but a bubble... :-)
    left the forum March 2023
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    My Edge 200 also records about 20% less than others and probably 50% less than a Wahoo. I like it that way, makes me look weak on Strava and make others look heroes... then reality kicks in when I take them for a spin in the Cotswolds and they find out their previous rides were flat indeed and their 19 mph rides were nothing but a bubble... :-)

Lolol :)
  • I have a 520. I live right on the coast so my elevation is close to zero. When I do my normal rides, which by definition must all be inland, the 520 records altitude details.
    On Garmin Connect I spend most of my time at or beneath sea level; even on our local Cote d'Alpe Huez which is a massive 300' high Connect seldom shows me at 100' or more.
    The same data is automatically uploaded to Strava and gives more or less correct elevations.
    If/when I ride away from home I plot a route onto an Etrex30 and use that for navigation purposes. It also records a track of where I've been, which also seems more or less accurate.

From my less than scientific research it appears the problem lies with Connect.
  • vince133
    vince133 Posts: 61
    Thanks for your responses. Looks like it’s something I will have to live with. Not a major problem was just wandering if there was a quick fix.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    If you use Strava, click the blue "Elevation" headline towards the top-right of the ride's summary page and click the option to correct elevation.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo