Cable Stuck AGAIN - on NEW Boardman Air 9.0 Shimano 105

andysfunbox
andysfunbox Posts: 3
edited May 2019 in Workshop
HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBELM ON A NEW BOARDMAND AIR9.0
Front derallieur cable getting stuck inside frame and making griding noise.

I'm on my 3rd Warrenty return and wondered if anyone else suffered the same?

The Shimaon 105 front deralieur cable in the frame keeps getting stuck. So shifting up gets harder and harder until the cable is completely stuck inside and I can no longer shift up. If you listen you can hear a grinding noise inside the frame where the cable should be moving.

Warranty return 1 : I've had the shift gear and cable changed on bike 1 - worked fine for 20 minutes!!! Turned round and returned the bike.
Warranty return 2 : Workshop and Boardman agreed it's this particular frame and not just mech. I was given a new bike!!! :D . Amazing service BUT the same problem occured on the new bike on my very first ride the next day :shock: ( 115 miles & I had to finish the last 50 stuck in the lower front ring - I guess it was some good cadence training :? ).
Warranty return 3 : They've got the bike back again. Can hear the grind. The cable is truely stuck. Curerntly I'm scheduled for a 150 mile ride on Friday and have no bike. The issue is now with the Boardman Product Manager and I await with baited bredth for a viable solution. I'm sure they'll come good, but they say this is an unknown issue? / :?:

HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS PROBLEM with Boarman AIR mech series? I'd like to give feed back to Boardman.

The retailer - Cyclerepublic have been amazing - they know their stuff. They agree there is a repeated fault with two AIR9.0s. Boardman have been involved in the conversation too, but I'm currently without a bike :(

Any suggestions Cycling gurus / hivemind ? Thank you

Andy 'thigh muscle rapidly fading away' Welch

Comments

• shiznit76
    shiznit76 Posts: 640
    If I were you I'd ask for my money back and get something else. Problems like this on 1 bike is unfortunate, on 2nd bike also then questions must be raised about quality of frame/build. Ask for full refund and go elsewhere
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Not seen it reported. Surely you could have manually put the chain on the big ring of the alternative is 50m in the small ?
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Sounds like an internal cable guide is out of place?
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Sounds like an internal cable guide is out of place?

My thoughts too. I recall a riding buddy had a sleeve guide missing from his Cervelo build resulting in the front inner eventually sawing itself a nice little groove in the frame.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Thanks all for your comments. A big push and they have given me a full refund. I'm upgrading to a Di2 gearing and I've been given a great contribution for the troubles. Thanks all.

Andy