Advice for 7 day Central Alps Tour

2»

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,791
    I used Vitoria Open Paves in the Pyrenees, was happy with them in variable conditions, and still have some NOS in a box so will be taking them to the Alps.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,261
    Jacksyee wrote:
    One other thing, it happens to be time for new tyres and currently have mavics that came with the wheels

Any recommendations for the alps?

Put them on now, not just before you go. Make sure you are confident in them.

GP4000S for me, just because I always have.
  • pblakeney
    edited May 2019
    Jacksyee wrote:
    One other thing, it happens to be time for new tyres and currently have mavics that came with the wheels

Actually, this goes for all kit. You don’t want to find something doesn’t work or fit out there. Especially so for the saddle & position.

I knew one guy who would do a big "unveil" every year in Mallorca. Then spent the whole week fettling it. :lol: We weren't impressed by either event.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    Find out from the organisers about how much food and drink you have to carry with you, and where (if anywhere) you can get it en route. And then carry a little extra - if you blow up on your usual rides you know where shops and garages are so can get stuff in emergencies. If you're on your own in the mountains you could be an hour or more from anywhere, and that is a long time when you've bonked and every pedal stroke feels like a dozen.
    Do the organisers have a sweeper vehicle, or riders that stay with the last person the road?
  • Jacksyee
    Jacksyee Posts: 48
    g00se wrote:
    There's always a risk of a flash storm in the alps at that time of year - so be prepared for the roads being wet. Same with snow melt if the conditions are right (wrong). But likewise you don't want a heavy slow tyre too. So get a decent tyre with a good reputation of grip - especially in the wet. Assuming it's a regular clincher, something like a Continental GP 4000/5000.

In the past, I've also used Veloflex Corsas and IRC Formula Pros (the latter are tubeless but could be run with tubes). Both are really sticky in the corners but fast rolling enough.

What wheels do you have?

Mavic Pro Carbon SL. My LBS says to put on Conti GP5000s \
  • Jacksyee
    Jacksyee wrote:

Thanks - sound advice - they are putting them on this weekend at the LBS
  • Jacksyee
    DaveP1 wrote:
    Find out from the organisers about how much food and drink you have to carry with you, and where (if anywhere) you can get it en route. And then carry a little extra - if you blow up on your usual rides you know where shops and garages are so can get stuff in emergencies. If you're on your own in the mountains you could be an hour or more from anywhere, and that is a long time when you've bonked and every pedal stroke feels like a dozen.
    Do the organisers have a sweeper vehicle, or riders that stay with the last person the road?

Yeah, no issue here - I splurged. They have a van that follows you with spare everything and they will bring you food etc. They have a mechanic in the van

Two guides with the 8 riders. I assume one stays with the last man (me probably). I’m a bit worried the group will scream off at 40kph on the flats. I’m a triathlete so equally bad at all the sports.
  • pblakeney
    Jacksyee wrote:
    Two guides with the 8 riders. I assume one stays with the last man (me probably). I’m a bit worried the group will scream off at 40kph on the flats. I’m a triathlete so equally bad at all the sports.
    Let them go at 40kph if they wish. I completed a "challenge" route at 20kph in the Pyrenees. There was various groups within a tour of 20; the tourists (who were doing an easier route), me and another guy, and the fast groups. Only one person fully completed the challenge route.
    Unless there is a cut-off time, don't sweat it, and the organisers will be used to all paces. 100km @ 20kph is only 5 hours on the bike, and you have all day.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I think you'll be fine especially given you have a support vehicle if things do go wrong. Make sensible preparations but don't overthink it - if you stop mid ride for a meal order what you fancy rather than what you think Chris Froome would have before a key stage of the Tour - he is interested in marginal gains whereas enjoying ourselves is the key for us amateurs. I've always had a few decent evening meals with drinks when I'm over there and never found I suffered for it the next day.

For the actual riding definitely polish up your group riding if you haven't done much and just because you have disc brakes don't over brake on the descents. As someone said above let your bike roll down on the straights and brake into (not on) the corners - try not to drag the brakes if you need to brake on a straight then brake and release - think about keeping it smooth rather than fast and don't try and race people you aren't confident racing fast descenders often have great technique but they are often happy to take risks too.

One thing that affects me - it may not you - is the heat when I first get over there - I've had some rides where I've just been unable to keep up with weaker riders early in the week - not sure if you can do much about that. I've also found on long events in really hot weather sweat running into the eyes can be a problem so last time I did the Marmotte I bought a little Castelli sweat band that prevents that happening.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Jacksyee wrote:
    DaveP1 wrote:

Yeah, no issue here - I splurged. They have a van that follows you with spare everything and they will bring you food etc. They have a mechanic in the van

I wouldn't worry, I've seen a number of these supported tours in the alps and there's a right mix of riders. To be honest (and don't take this the wrong way) the experienced/fast guys will probably organise their own trips or do something like the etap.

One thing to be aware of is that the first day will probably be the hardest - jumping straight into relentless/hot climbs can be a bit of a shock, especially if you've spent the day before travelling. But as you'll be used to riding continuously at a high tempo from the triathlons, you'll be at an advantage here.
  • Jacksyee
    I think you'll be fine especially given you have a support vehicle if things do go wrong. Make sensible preparations but don't overthink it - if you stop mid ride for a meal order what you fancy rather than what you think Chris Froome would have before a key stage of the Tour - he is interested in marginal gains whereas enjoying ourselves is the key for us amateurs. I've always had a few decent evening meals with drinks when I'm over there and never found I suffered for it the next day.

For the actual riding definitely polish up your group riding if you haven't done much and just because you have disc brakes don't over brake on the descents. As someone said above let your bike roll down on the straights and brake into (not on) the corners - try not to drag the brakes if you need to brake on a straight then brake and release - think about keeping it smooth rather than fast and don't try and race people you aren't confident racing fast descenders often have great technique but they are often happy to take risks too.

One thing that affects me - it may not you - is the heat when I first get over there - I've had some rides where I've just been unable to keep up with weaker riders early in the week - not sure if you can do much about that. I've also found on long events in really hot weather sweat running into the eyes can be a problem so last time I did the Marmotte I bought a little Castelli sweat band that prevents that happening.

Thanks, I live in Hong Kong so its lots hotter here than Fance and much more humid. I have a sweat band II wear under helmet to make the sweat go around my eyes
  • Jacksyee
    g00se wrote:
    Jacksyee wrote:
    DaveP1 wrote:

I wouldn't worry, I've seen a number of these supported tours in the alps and there's a right mix of riders. To be honest (and don't take this the wrong way) the experienced/fast guys will probably organise their own trips or do something like the etap.

One thing to be aware of is that the first day will probably be the hardest - jumping straight into relentless/hot climbs can be a bit of a shock, especially if you've spent the day before travelling. But as you'll be used to riding continuously at a high tempo from the triathlons, you'll be at an advantage here.

Yeah thanks for the info. Makes me feel better. As a typical data driven triathlete I’ve spent the last 5 weeks relentlessly climbing :)

I am lucky enough to live on HK Island so it’s 3 km to the base of a climb and then straight up the peak etc. I have done 2x Alp du Zwift in a row but just not that fast. Still, doing it every day for a week is intimidating. You have made me feel better!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,261
    Jacksyee wrote:

Which company is it?
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Jacksyee wrote:
    g00se wrote:
    Jacksyee wrote:
    DaveP1 wrote:

Yeah thanks for the info. Makes me feel better. As a typical data driven triathlete I’ve spent the last 5 weeks relentlessly climbing :)

I am lucky enough to live on HK Island so it’s 3 km to the base of a climb and then straight up the peak etc. I have done 2x Alp du Zwift in a row but just not that fast. Still, doing it every day for a week is intimidating. You have made me feel better!

Ah, Victoria Peak? If you can do that, don't worry. I haven't cycled it but I've walked it years ago - very alpine like in feel, gradient and length. You'll have it sorted. Doing it every day is fine - as that's all your doing - plenty of recovery time (beer).
  • Jacksyee
    Thanks for all the replies. Yes Victoria peak repeats most days

I feel much better about my chances
  • I feel like I need to jump in a barrel of ice and then sleep for four days just reading that. I am definitely NOT made of sterner stuff. Hats off to you guys, just thinking about your efforts has exhausted me.
  • Talking of which, I must have had either my ultra negative head on today or more likely the exhausted old body I keep in the closet for Bank Holidays. I did my parkrun in a time some toddler just learning to walk would beat. They do say some people are more requiring of a calendar than a stop watch. I almost needed two calendars. It's only one circuit and I think some people lapped me twice.

Anyway, I thought what oomph I lack running I will make up for with pedal power. Well oomph kind of looks like zero zero miles per hour doesn't it. What a strange word that is. OOMPH implies energy, zip, celebration. In my case it didn't imply anything other than lethargy. I must have entered a parallel universe because I'd swear 50% of the road users that overtook me were motorcyclists. And the other 50% were smug looking people in soft tops.

I yearned for an engine today. When I got to the fish 'n' chip shop, half an hour later than anticipated, the queue was more akin to twenty pound notes being handed out than fried potatoes and battered swimmy things. And I'm sure most of the people in front of me owned Mercedes convertibles. Perhaps I was over analysing things.

Anyway, I'm going to have a bloody good drink now. I've been thoroughly less than average all day but surely that qualifies you more for inebriation than stellar performance ever could. Cheers.
  • However. I feel slightly less guilty after a recent experience at the gym I go to.

A guy I've known for years was in the hot tub. He must be easily 23 stones. He's one of those lads who is big everywhere. Backside, ankles, neck, even jaw. I managed to completely put my foot in it by asking him if he'd just recently joined. Luckily he missed the potential insult ( I hope ). He replied "No, I've been coming here for three years".

Get this, his idea of exercise after THIRTY SIX MONTHS of attendance is to walk up and down in the swimming pool. He calls it resistance training and says it minimises stress on the joints. So would watching a box set on Sky.

And he isn't the only one. At the fitness centre I frequent the hot tub is probably the most popular cum overused facility. Sorry, I meant to say fatness centre.
  • I'm reminded of the legendary Benny Hill, one of my favourite ever performers ………….

Bella Emberg ( she of Blunderwoman fame ) would turn to Benny and say "I've just come from the beauty parlour".

His response, delivered oh so mirthfully …. "was it closed" ? Before turning to the camera and cheekily smiling.

Comedy classic. They don't make 'em like they used to.
  • pblakeney
    Get this, his idea of exercise after THIRTY SIX MONTHS of attendance is to walk up and down in the swimming pool. He calls it resistance training and says it minimises stress on the joints. So would watching a box set on Sky.
    I did that to aid recovery of a ruptured Achilles Tendon.
    Try being less judgemental.
    Veronese68 wrote: