Cannondale Synapse - 46T Outer chanring, doable?

Buttie
Buttie Posts: 17
edited May 2019 in Workshop
Evening all,
I'll start with the bottom line question first and go into some detail thereafter.

Can I fit a 46T outer chaninring to a 2016 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra and still set the front mech low enough to actually do the job it is employed to do, i.e. change gear and keep the chain on the 46T ring?

I am currently running a 48 /33T but would like to go lower (keeping the 'smaller' step 11-32 cassette, rather than going bigger with a 34 or 36), with a FSA Energy Modular 46/30T.
Before making that kind of investment I need to get all my 'sorry mate, it won't fit, ducks in a row.

With the riveted, fixed front mech holder the only adjustment I can see is the slot height in said holder, and even with the 48T it looks mightly like I may have used up all my availble.

I have tried Cannondale UK and they did not know.

Any solid knowlwdge / experience appreciated.

Buttie.

Comments

• Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Measure the amount of space you have left.

If it’s equal to or more than the difference in diameter of the two rings then yes.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    if you go from 48 to 46 you don't even need to bother to lower the FD, so it's pretty straightforward
    left the forum March 2023
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    And if the FD ends up a bit too high it will likely still work.

I fitted a CX chainset with a 46t outer chainring on my winter bike but I couldn't lower the standard road double FD as far as I wanted because the band-on clamp was fouling one of the bottle cage mounts. Front shifts are still perfect.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    if you go from 48 to 46 you don't even need to bother to lower the FD, so it's pretty straightforward
    Quite right. I swapped the 50 for a 46 on my Sora. So long as both rings are in the range of the original set up you'll be fine.