What size pedal bearings

billycool
billycool Posts: 833
edited May 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got a set of Wellgo CNC Platform B164 Flat Pedals

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/wel ... -prod85506

I'm quite happy with them but the outer sealed bearings are getting a bit grotty. I've cleaned them a bit and relubed but one now has some movement in it. Would like to replace if possible.

So - what size bearings do they use? I've Googled and found nothing. Not totally convinced at my ability to measure them properly. Next option is contact Wellgo and try to find out.

Or - buy new pedals.

If anyone knows how to find out the bearing sizes, I'd be grateful.
"Ride, crash, replace"

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    There are only thee measurements that you need to think about. The outside diameter, the inside and the width. If you have a verier caliper you are laughing because it can measure all of those. If you only have a micrometer (G type), then you can measure the OD and the width. For the ID, measure the axle diameter where the bearing sits.

If the bearings are metric then I doubt very much that you will have to go to three figures of accuracy. If they are imperial, then the measurements will be in fractions. In which case have in mind what the decimal equivalent of 3/16 is or 5/32, that sort of thing.

Then go look for the bearings! When it comes down to it, it should be clear what bearing it is that you want (size-wise at least).
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Thanks Steve. I have a ruler!

Looking at other pedals - Z686 (6mm ID x 13mm OD x 5mm width) are fairly common.

I'll take one out and have a measure. The bike is in the shop right now, so I'll have to wait until I get it back.

I have also messaged Wellgo in Taiwan to see if they can help.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    BillyCool wrote:
    Thanks Steve. I have a ruler!

Looking at other pedals - Z686 (6mm ID x 13mm OD x 5mm width) are fairly common.

I'll take one out and have a measure. The bike is in the shop right now, so I'll have to wait until I get it back.

I have also messaged Wellgo in Taiwan to see if they can help.

It makes sense to me that they are whole numbers of mm. Everything you are measuring has a curved edge and is difficult to measure with a ruler. I'd make things as easy as possible and use a magnifying glass. Anyway, the bearings are cheap enough, so all you will do is waste time if you get it wrong. You have some spare pedals I assume, so its not stopping you from biking. Now I'm down to one bike, I have a spare set if you need to borrow a pair. :)