Any advice for 150 mile ride?

2»

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    2x500ml bidons (and a lot more)
    Unfortunately I don't have any bidons, I'll have to make do with water bottles as I sit at the cockpit of my steed ;-)
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I have 1 litre bottles, so two of them for long rides.

I would also have a small bottle of water with a sports nozzle thingy in my jersey pocket and a flannel - so you can wipe your face and get the salt off. Its really refreshing! The bottle can also be used to squirt water on your face/head if it gets really hot say on a long climb.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • bompington
    drlodge wrote:
    get the salt off... if it gets really hot...
    WTF :?: this is Scotland.

Although I suppose it's possible I might get a bit of sea spray on the coastal sections.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    What about from the gritters?
  • jimmurray
    jimmurray Posts: 130
    If you are 'comfortable' doing the three pistes then the longer, relatively flat, route shouldn't be a problem.

Regarding the A85 the first day of the tour of the highlands sportive will be going along part of this road on Saturday.
  • bompington
    jimmurray wrote:
    If you are 'comfortable' doing the three pistes
    Not sure I ever claimed that :oops:
  • bompington
    Slowbike wrote:
    What about from the gritters?
    When I worked in Perth there was a short section of my route home where I was basically on the pavement by the A90 (dual carriageway, main road to Dundee & Aberdeen)... into the traffic.

I can still feel the taste of grit and salt in the mouth that accompanied the bow wave blast from trucks at a closing speed of 80+mph.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    At least it's grit and salt - not slurry from the tractors that I encountered ... ;) Eitherway - a wipe down with water would be welcome ;)
  • bompington
    Hmmm. Weather...

The best that can be said is that there should be a tailwind most of the way. Rain I can handle but I'm not sure I fancy 10-12 hours riding with a wet backside...
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    It's my arse that is the main issue I have on rides > 200k
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • bompington
    :(:(:(:( :evil:

The best advice would have been...

"Remember to pack your cycling clothes"

Thought about the prospect of cycling 150 miles in (what would rapidly become) wet cotton casual shorts - literally the only thing I have with me - so it looks like I'm taking the bus.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :(:(:( :evil:

So the big ride needs to happen soon! I'm thinking maybe the Snow Roads...