Fulcrum racing rear hubs

turbo1191
turbo1191 Posts: 501
edited June 2019 in Workshop
Hi folks. Just purchased a set of fulcrum racing sport wheels and fitted the cassette. The freehub seems silent - this isn't right is it?
:(

Comments

• lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    do the ratchet pawls engage properly - try turning the cassette foreward then backwards a few times, if it engages consistently then its fine.
    Some hubs are noisier than others by design, one wheel ive got is silent, the other makes a lot of noise, not tried a Fulcrum before though so cant be more specific
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    fulcrum freehubs are normally quite noisy, take free hub off and clear all muck and grease off the pawls and spring and clean the ratchet body in the hub. use thin oil only (like chain lube) sparingly on the pawls and then refit.
    Colnago Addict!
  • turbo1191
    The wheels are brand new.. everything engages properly.. I've got 2 sets for different bikes and both are the same.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,034
    The Racing 77 DB rear that came with my Cube isn't silent, but nowhere near the volume of the rear Aero Light Disc hub (Novatec), which is great for freewheeling down hills and alerting animals to my presence and hopefully not deciding to cross the road in front of me!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Don’t worry, it’s just the grease. It’ll dissipate after a while and the hub will get noisier. I’ve just stripped, cleaned and regreased a Racing 3 rear for a pal and they’ve gone from noisy to quiet.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Don’t worry, it’s just the grease. It’ll dissipate after a while and the hub will get noisier. I’ve just stripped, cleaned and regreased a Racing 3 rear for a pal and they’ve gone from noisy to quiet.

THis
    left the forum March 2023
  • turbo1191
    Thanks for replies. I was hoping they were just packed with grease making them quieter when new..
  • Just had this exact issue. Didn’t see your post. Thanks to everyone for clearing it up.
    Can I just add, went for a ride on new wheels today. After about 20miles and a 55kph+ descent the hubs now make a noise.