Cassette coming loose help

rockers
rockers Posts: 448
edited May 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello there,

Having problems with my 10 speed hg50 cassette coming loose, not falling off loose but enough you get a click if you stop and start pedalling.
Any ideas to why it may come loose ?

Cassette in hand teeth some seem sharp etc not overally worn, but the gears that have the rivets going through are loose the rivets are not holding it solid,

Cassette needs replacing ?

Hub is a older hope xc the freehub does have some wear

Any help would be great

Cheers

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Have you tried tightening it ?
  • rockers
    rockers Posts: 448
    Yeh sorry I should of put that, first time it felt a touch loose I took wheel out and cranked it up, happened again cranked up mega tight and same problem
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If the bigger sprockets are no longer securely attached to the carrier then I'd say it's time for a new cassette. And unless the chain is really new, replace that too.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Have you got the black spacer ring on the freehub?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    When you replace it, get a Shimano one from CRC. All Shimano products get a two year warranty from CRC. OK, I know the EU says two years anyway, so what's the difference? The difference is that CRC don't make you work hard for it. I had almost exact the same problem, the rivets breaking and the gears coming free from the carrier. The cassette was well over a year old and it was replaced without question.