Ultegra 8020 fine tuning gears - cross chaining

andyh01
andyh01 Posts: 599
edited May 2019 in Workshop
Hi so most of my gear changes are smooth and crisp on 11sp Ultgra.

However I get slight rub, I think from the front derailleur, on 2 or 3 gears when crossing over between the front chain stay ie cross chaining.

Is there anyway to fine tune so I can use all 11 gears on both the inner and outer cogs on the chainset? Or is it a case of changing front sooner and move up/down cassette?

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    AndyH01 wrote:
    Hi so most of my gear changes are smooth and crisp on 11sp Ultgra
    Is there anyway to fine tune so I can use all 11 gears on both the inner and outer cogs on the chainset? Or is it a case of changing front sooner and move up/down cassette?

Probably not, and yes.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You're using the trim function but still can't eliminate chain rub?
  • andyh01
    Is the trim function the A and B limit screws? Yes tried these and the barrel adjuster.
    If I adjust them it messes up gear changes elsewhere.

As I say the best I can get is either a slight rub that I can hear and is marking the front derailleur if on extremes or change front and jump up/down cassette or not cross chaining
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    AndyH01 wrote:
    Is the trim function the A and B limit screws? Yes tried these and the barrel adjuster.
    If I adjust them it messes up gear changes elsewhere.

As I say the best I can get is either a slight rub that I can hear and is marking the front derailleur if on extremes or change front and jump up/down cassette or not cross chaining

I think he means half a shift so the derailleur moves but you stay on same chain ring.
  • andyh01
    Ah yes have used the half shift on the front leaver makes a bit of difference but still a bit of rubbing
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Download the Shimano dealer manual for your groupset and follow the set up instructions exactly for your derailleurs. Start from scratch by disconnecting the cables and just follow the instructions. If yo7 are methodical and follow every step you should sort the problems.

PP
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Work out your gear ratios first. You're probably duplicating gears when you cross chain so there's easier ways to get that ratio.