Miche cassette won't spin backwards

joe2008
joe2008 Posts: 1,531
edited May 2019 in Workshop
Just fitted a Miche cassette (Campagnolo) on a White Industries hub and it won't spin.

The problem appears to be the recess on the back of the 32 sprocket, which is getting jammed on the hub.

So I've added a spacer in there to fill the gap, which seems to solve the problem.

Before I ride it and something goes wrong that I didn't think of, I just wondered if anyone has done something similar?

Comments

• lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    Only two things I can think of at the moment are - definitely campag compatible cassette - im sure youve checked that though, but the other would be is it the correct speed cassette for the hub? e.g 9spd hub 11spd cassette etc.
    Still doesnt make much sense though...

Have you checked that the chain can move freely in the smallest sprocket? Just thinking the spacer might push the cassette out more than usual and it might foul the frame, perhaps not the smallest sprocket itself but the chain may jam?
  • joe2008
    Definitely an 11 speed hub.

The cassette works on a DT240 hub no problem.

The WI hub has a ridge (see image, by the pink band) which fits into the recess on the 32 sprocket and therefore the cassette drops in to close to the wheel. A spacer fills this hole. The DT240 hub has no such rim.

WICLDR-3.jpg
    zm-20150629-170145.jpg

Thinking it through, the cassette never turns independently from the hub backwards when riding, it's either engaged and moving with the wheel, or stationery in freewheel.

So, even without the spacer, I guess it would work when riding, as long as the wheel wasn't spun backwards.

Anyway a spacer seems to do the trick, and as I haven't had to adjust the derailleur, or the limit screws, I'm thinking it'll be OK.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Isn't wheel turning and cassette stationary the same as wheel stationary and cassette going backwards?
  • joe2008
    david7m wrote:
    Isn't wheel turning and cassette stationary the same as wheel stationary and cassette going backwards?

That's very good point! :D
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    joe2008 wrote:
    david7m wrote:

That's very good point! :D

:lol:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm thinking that using the spacer sounds a lot safer than suddenly realising you've turned it into a track bike and you can't stop pedalling...
  • joe2008
    Yeah, I'm debating ordering a Campagnolo cassette and using this Miche on DT240 hub which I am yet to build into a wheel..

I think it will probably work fine with the spacer but I now have a fear that it might all jam up on a descent.