Trek Swing link knackered

krauuk
krauuk Posts: 6
edited May 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All.

I've got a Trek Rumblefish which I 'd like to keep running, problem is that the swing link has worn out in the hole where the bottom of the shock attaches so that the bolt flexes and eventually breaks repeatedly. I've asked the dealer but they say that Trek no longer do this bit so I was wondering if anyone might know if a swing link from another Trek bike might fit?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hVxWpYn1ukEE51Rh6

Obviously, you can't tell just from the pic but any leads would help.

Thanks.

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Can you drill out the hole and fit a bush, so that the bolt is supported? Obviously you will need to remove the bits and support them properly so that they don't flex during drilling and that everything stays true.
    If you are not handy and/or don't have the tools, any machine shop will be able to help. They should be able to drill the smallest hole that does the job, ream it out and make a bush to fit. Your LBS should have some contacts for those "difficult" jobs.

It might sound like a big job, especially if you have done nothing like it before, but it really should not be difficult.
  • krauuk
    krauuk Posts: 6
    Can you drill out the hole and fit a bush, so that the bolt is supported? Obviously you will need to remove the bits and support them properly so that they don't flex during drilling and that everything stays true.
    If you are not handy and/or don't have the tools, any machine shop will be able to help. They should be able to drill the smallest hole that does the job, ream it out and make a bush to fit. Your LBS should have some contacts for those "difficult" jobs.

It might sound like a big job, especially if you have done nothing like it before, but it really should not be difficult.

That's a good idea, I'll explore that, thanks.