Chain slipping on cassette after new derailleur and cassette

jd843
jd843 Posts: 59
edited May 2019 in Workshop
Hi,

I recently had a new rear derailleur, cassette and chain fitted at my LBS. On the first few rides, my drivetrain felt perfect, no gear switching problems at all. However, on Sunday I noticed that some of my gears felt like they didn’t “sit right”, like the chain wasn’t running smoothly over the cassette in some gears and trying to slip into a different gear. I forgot about it and went out on my bike again today, and the problem seems to have got worse.

Since this didn’t start straight away after having the new components fitted, what would the most likely cause be? Will my LBS have fitted new cables with the derailleur, and could these have stretched after the first few rides?

Cheers

Comments

• darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Cables need adjusting. Just look it up on YouTube and do it yourself, easy job.
  • Bumo_b
    Bumo_b Posts: 211
    Agree with above, most likely cable adjustment, just use the barrel adjuster. Do however check the cable pinch bolt (not sure it is the correct terminology) so no cable is slowly sipping through.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If they replaced the cable surely they told you (and charged you)?

Even if they didn't replace it they had to disconnect it from the old and reattach it to the new derailleur so it is entirely possible the cable / outers have now settled in a bit and the indexing needs fine tuning using the barrel adjuster on the mech.

Youtube if at all unsure. Simple job
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,674
    Here is the only guide you need:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkZxPIZ1ngY

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    yup - cable adj, 30 second job and v. simple. trickiest thing is persuading someone to hold the back of the bike up if you don't have a turbo trainer or stand.

#makeittighterplease
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • surfercyclist
    surfercyclist Posts: 894
    You need to index your gears most likely.

Watch this and follow;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbk5RcH0bbQ