Deep and narrow Carbon wheels?

bobbyp
bobbyp Posts: 275
edited May 2019 in Road buying advice
I fancy some new aero wheels and I'm having some issues. I have a 2014 Supersix Evo HM and the clearances at the back are really tight. I have no problems running 23mm GP4k but 25mm was a fail.

Are there any wheels out there still that are about 22mm across the brake track and good with 23mm tyres? Or has the whole of the rest of the world moved to 25mm? Should I just be looking at ebay and looking for something slightly older?

I realise 25mm will be silky smooth over potholes and that wider wheels may be more aero but that will be offset by the drag of carbon being gouged from my frame.

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I was going to suggest Malcolm's BORG50C Carbon Clinchers Tubeless ready, but says they are 26.2mm at their widest. However it also says tyres over 23mm wide will increase drag so brake track might be narrower. Could email him to clarify?

I have these wheels on the Massive Attack https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collection ... 6-5mm-wide
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    carbonzone and farsport will do you ncely. maybe even something at planet x.

and don't tell anyone, but you won't feel any difference between 23 &25mm at the same pressure .....
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • drlodge
    and don't tell anyone, but you won't feel any difference between 23 &25mm at the same pressure .....

Also if you go tubeless, you can ride a 23c at a lower pressure than a tubed 25c :lol:
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Matthewfalle
    drlodge wrote:

Also if you go tubeless, you can ride a 23c at a lower pressure than a tubed 25c :lol:

buy why would he possibly want to do that

#confused

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • drlodge
    Going tubeless = lower pressure = more comfy. Obvious not?
    Find me on Strava
  • Matthewfalle
    drlodge wrote:
    Going tubeless = a whole ot off faff and expense for not a lot - if any - of benefit. Obvious not?

ftfy

#fixology

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    drlodge wrote:
    Going tubeless = a whole ot off faff and expense for not a lot - if any - of benefit. Obvious not?

ftfy

#fixology
    ...whereas tubs aren't a faff? You seem to love them.
    #confused #mustlovesewing

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Matthewfalle
    they aren't a faff.

why do you think they are?

#confused
    #scared

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    I use 303s with that bike. 23mm gp4000s2 come up about 26mm I can’t use 25mm gp4000

I believe the 5000 might come up a smidge narrower but I haven’t spend 50notes to see.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Tubeless are no faff at all if you buy tyres to fit your wheels.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    Try and search out some older wheel sets like:

Corima 47mm deep around 22mm wide
    FFWD F4R or F6R older versions are 22.4mm wide
    Reynolds Assualts 20mm wide I think
    Campagnolo Bora pre 2015 are 20mm
    Lightweight (if the budget allows) again 20mm wide before they went wide about 3 years ago

If you want new then Farsports or Lightbicycle are options, spec the depth and width and then choose your hubs and spokes to suit the budget. Something like a 50x23mm clincher on DT350 with CX Ray should be under £500.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    just go for 23mm wide farsports or equivalent. if you can get hold of Corima 47mm 22mm wide clinchers they are worth looking out for. they ride nicely and are fast, though are never cheap!