Fitting Di2 battery inside 25.4 seatpost

munkster
munkster Posts: 819
edited May 2019 in Workshop
Specifically this one that I'm thinking of buying: https://www.tredz.co.uk/.FSA-SL-K-Carbo ... 204666.htm

I have emailed FSA and they replied to say that the two-part black plastic thing that comes with the battery (the latest seatpost one, I forget the model number) will suffice, and a couple of wraps of insulation tape is good enough. They say the pro Cannondale team manage to fit them into 25.4 posts so maybe I ought not worry ;-)

Has anyone any experience of fitting these inside a slender post like this? When I installed it into the existing post it has a Di2 fitment for the circlip but this FSA one presumably has nothing like that. There seems precious little in the way of third-party battery installation widgets for 25.4mm posts. This one potentially will work (https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares ... ery-mount/) since the ID of the FSA post is 20.1mm allegedly and smaller widget in theory goes to that small.

Anyone?? Ta.

Comments

• Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Says it should work but I’d be prepared for a tight fit and plenty of pushing.

Getting it out again at some point might be as challenging too.

If it’s too tight, could you trim a bit off?

Alternatively call sigma sports, they’ll know exactly what to do.
  • munkster
    Trim a bit off what?? :shock:

Sounds a bit drastic whichever object you’re referring to, good shout re: SigmaSports many thanks.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Nothing came with my battery so I simply wrapped it in insulation tape until it was a firm interference fit in the seat post. Hasn't come loose once.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    I've used the split plastic collar thing, in my 25.4 seatpost. Been in for 3 years now, no issues. Not too hard to fit or remove. No additional tape.
  • munkster
    Great thanks. Is the black split thing tapered?Someone suggested it was but I can’t tell just looking at it before I try and fit it.

All sounds promising however!
  • rafletcher
    Slightly tapered yes, and IIRC some small ribbing on the outside to help it grip.
  • munkster
    Lovely thanks.
  • munkster
    I think the split collar thing I have must be different to everyone else's - mine has no "ribbing" and is incredibly thin plastic such that there is quite a gap between this collar and the seatpost itself. Reckon it'd take quite a bit of insulation tape to bridge this...

Any other suggestions before I admit defeat and take it to the LBS?

di2.JPG
  • rafletcher
    Buy the part you need? Just google seatpost Di2 battery holder and you’ll see a selection from £5 to £10.
  • munkster
    Buy the part you need? Just google seatpost Di2 battery holder and you’ll see a selection from £5 to £10.

Yeah, you'd think so wouldn't you. Just not for 25.4mm posts, as per the title. If you have been Google skills than me and can find 25.4mm holders then please let me know!! There's some custom type ones in the states, I may have to resort to those.

If I am truly missing the wood for the trees then I deserve a flaming, but I've tried all manner of searches, and turned up pretty much nothing for 25.4mm posts. What am I missing then?? ;-)
  • munkster
    eg; https://buplabs.com/products/di2-batter ... seat-posts

£32 or so posted from the US. Ouch!
  • rafletcher
    What’s the inside diameter of your seatpost? If it’s 20mm then this will do the job, see the description.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares ... t/?geoc=US
  • munkster
    Yeah that one is the only one that I’ve seen that might fit the bill. I can’t remember where I read it but think the post is 20.1mm so potentially OK. Seeing how much space there is around the post and looking at the pic it’s going to be a very tight fit, but I guess that’s the idea.

In the meantime I’ve found a 3D printing template for something and a mate is going give that a whirl this week so am going to wait and see how that goes in the first instance.
  • munkster
    Well that didn’t work. Neither the M:Part holder nor the 3D printed one will fit into the seat tube. I’ve currently wedged the battery in there with some 1mm thick neoprene/rubber strip wrapped round the end. Seems firmly wedged but I worry about it working loose and the unprotected battery terminal bouncing around on the bottle cage bosses...

Any other suggestions? *Surely* I can’t be the only person wanting an in-line 25.4 post with a Di2 battery??
  • rafletcher
    Why not try the SJS one then??
  • munkster
    I have. That’s the M:Part one...

Next!! :wink:
  • it's an old post but... did you manage to solve this issue somehow?