900£ on a disc wheelset

jupamaso
jupamaso Posts: 21
edited May 2019 in Road buying advice
I recently bought a BMC Roadmachine 2 with Di2, fantastic bike. The wheels are quite heavy E1800 Spline 32. I like the hub and thé rim width, but the rim profile seems not relevant for thé type of riding I do (hilly rides, climbing).

I was lucky and I have about 900 £ to put into new wheels to replace the E 1800. My criterias are: shallow rim, at least 19mm rim widht, alloy (as it will be my only pair and I commute), light and high quality Rims, clinchers.

The DT swiss ER 1400 seem to fit the bill, but seem unavailable in Canada.

Any suggestion?

Comments

• chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Why not carbon? You could save weight and not worry about the rims wearing because they’re not doing any braking.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Surely it won't be your only pair as you already have the wheels it was supplied with?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Unless your commute is a 40 mile trip with 1000 meters of climb surely the wheels the bike came with would be fine for commuting? All you need is robust wheels, not speedy ones.
    Then that'd leave you being able to spend the £900 on wheels like Dura Ace C24's to use in the weekend.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Not available in Canada?

https://www.amazon.ca/DT-Swiss-ER1400-S ... 076QMZQHL/
    https://www.amazon.ca/DT-Swiss-ER1400-S ... 076QM3NCL/

You might need to look for the wheels individually instead of as a set - DT seem keen to make them available separately.
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    Hunt carbon 50 (or 36/50).
    You can do fine with carbon rims, as they will not wear out due to braking.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • jupamaso
    jupamaso Posts: 21
    Thanks everybody. I will sell the stock wheels, the new wheels will be my only pair.

I’m not interested in carbon because my Bike is put into a bike stand at work.

Thanks for the reference re: Amazon. I never check that site for bike related purchase.

I saw Easton EA 90 disc brake wheels, anyone has tried them?