Do power metre's remove the 'romance?'

sgt.pepper
sgt.pepper Posts: 300
edited May 2019 in Road general
I've almost finished my Raleigh Competition build (105, aero wheels and STIs) so will be looking to get back into racing once my back heals, having done a few races before the injury.

My quandary - what are people's thoughts on power metre's and heart rate monitors? Do they remove the romance and your ability to 'feel' on the bike, or do they simply supplement your training? I'm no strava fiend, just uploading the occasional pleasure ride (do most of my training on my commute). I guess I'm wary of falling down the rabbit hole of having the 'best stats,' rather than a good ride.

Comments

• mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    You can use them without monitoring them during the ride by sticking your phone or GPS unit in your pocket or bag. Then you can compare your "feel" with the actual stats.

I like to record my mileage and use HR for fitness/calorie counting (and I know it's not an exact science) so I tend to at least use the GPS eveyday. But after a while I ignore the device while I'm riding and check the data later if I need to.
  • OnTheRopes
    OnTheRopes Posts: 460
    I have 4 bikes with power meters on.
    If you want to train specifically then you can use them for that training session with the appropriate screen on display.
    I think they actually help give you a better idea of your RPE (feel) as you get more exprience and can then have a decent estimate of Power and HR without looking at the screen.
    As mrfpb said, you don't have to monitor or display any of those and just enjoy the ride. Thats what I do unless specifically training though i usually have HR on display. I then upload to Golden Cheetah so as to keep my power management Chart and other stats up to date. Be warned though it does get addictive.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Sgt.Pepper wrote:
    I've almost finished my Raleigh Competition build (105, aero wheels and STIs) so will be looking to get back into racing once my back heals, having done a few races before the injury.

My quandary - what are people's thoughts on power metre's and heart rate monitors? Do they remove the romance and your ability to 'feel' on the bike, or do they simply supplement your training? I'm no strava fiend, just uploading the occasional pleasure ride (do most of my training on my commute). I guess I'm wary of falling down the rabbit hole of having the 'best stats,' rather than a good ride.

Science-based training may not be 'romantic' - but if you are racing, who gives a stuff about romance...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,257
    why the apostrophe?

You make a plural by adding an S, without the need for an apostrophe...
    left the forum March 2023
  • ugo.santalucia
    Imposter wrote:
    who gives a stuff about romance...

Spectators do...

Over the weekend I watched a video on youtube about Gregg Lemond... which reminded me how exciting the Tour de France was back in 80s, with riders losing minutes, then gaining minutes, bonks and crazy breakaways.
    These days we rarely see these things (Froome at last year's Giro?) and never at the Tour. My feeling is that if you remove all electronics, from radios to computers and power meters, racing would be more exciting for the spectators.

Remember no spectators = no money = no professional races

I think the Tour de France is on a path to become as boring as Formula 1
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    use them for training, don't use them when you want a "romantic" ride
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Imposter wrote:

Spectators do...

Over the weekend I watched a video on youtube about Gregg Lemond... which reminded me how exciting the Tour de France was back in 80s, with riders losing minutes, then gaining minutes, bonks and crazy breakaways.
    These days we rarely see these things (Froome at last year's Giro?) and never at the Tour. My feeling is that if you remove all electronics, from radios to computers and power meters, racing would be more exciting for the spectators.

The discussion is about training (for racing). Removing electronics for actually racing is another matter entirely. You're right about the apostrophe though..
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,712
    As long as you find it additive and you don't let it take over, sure why not get one?!

FWIW, back in 2009 when my speedo ran out of batteries half-way up the Col de la Core I found it so liberating I never sought to replace it and have since never ridden with a screen in front of me.

The concession I have made is I use my phone to record the ride on strava, so I can look back on the ride if I want, or if I'm desperate found out how long I have been riding for.

All I'd say is think about what are you using it for, and don't be afraid to not use them when you don't fancy. Don't feel that you have to use it because you've shell out all that money for it.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    why the apostrophe?

Wrong type of meter too...
  • chris_bass
    I'm kind of the opposite, numbers are my thing, I love them and am a massive geek/nerd! They actually add to my enjoyment. I should say I don't race so not hitting certain speeds or watts etc doesn't bother me, but seeing how all the numbers "fit" together really interests me. Increase cadence watch the watts go up, put more power down and see how heart rate is affected, how much does head wind reduce speed etc etc

But I'm definitely a *special* case!!
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    edited May 2019
    It isn't power meters that have removed the romance, it's compact chainsets and wide range cassettes.

Nothing like watching riders having to fight their way up a mountain with a 39-23 bottom gear - the struggle to keep your pedals turning when the body screams stop.... anyhow.

It's all very well knowing what power you should be able to maintain, on an off day it doesn't make it any easier to hit those numbers.

Still, power meters do make it more obvious that there are rarely such things as good and bad days - more often it's just tailwind and headwind days....
  • PhilipPirrip
    PhilipPirrip Posts: 616
    wongataa wrote:
    why the apostrophe?

Wrong type of meter too...
    Now your just splitting hare's :wink:
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    Chris Bass wrote:
    I'm kind of the opposite, numbers are my thing, I love them and am a massive geek/nerd! They actually add to my enjoyment. I should say I don't race so not hitting certain speeds or watts etc doesn't bother me, but seeing how all the numbers "fit" together really interests me. Increase cadence watch the watts go up, put more power down and see how heart rate is affected, how much does head wind reduce speed etc etc

Same here :oops:

I think power meters are a boon for making oneself faster, and as a result I enjoy my cycling even more.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    TimothyW wrote:
    It isn't power meters that have removed the romance, it's compact chainsets and wide range cassettes.

Nothing like watching riders having to fight their way up a mountain with a 39-23 bottom gear - the struggle to keep your pedals turning when the body screams stop.... anyhow.

It's all very well knowing what power you should be able to maintain, on an off day it doesn't make it any easier to hit those numbers.

Still, power meters do make it more obvious that there are rarely such things as good and bad days - more often it's just tailwind and headwind days....

in that case lets ride fixed but I'll let you have a fixed/fixed hub to allow you a larger/smaller sprocket. Why struggle in big gears and what is a big gear? At one time it was a 42 tooth inner ring then 39. 21 sprocket on the back or 23 for the Mortirolo but the gearing still has to be turned by a rider. Froome will go up a climb on 39x25 faster than most of us on here on 34x32
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Froome doesn't use a 25 on the back, he has been known to use a 32 in the mountains, not sure about chainrings.

I'm not saying I don't still enjoy the racing now (and I'm certainly very happy to run 34x32 up in the hills) but certainly it loses something in the spectacle when you look back at the old days of the riders fighting a big gear uphill.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618
    Imposter wrote:

Spectators do...

That was the drugs...
  • ugo.santalucia
    MrB123 wrote:

That was the drugs...

I completely disagree... races were exciting or boring regardless of the drugs... Armstrong years at the Tour were boring, yet it was the pinnacle of drug taking...
    As an aside, I hope you don't think the sport is clean now... :wink:
  • ugo.santalucia
    Now your just splitting hare's :wink:

Heirs? :lol::lol:
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    pane e agua.

#paneeagua
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • why the apostrophe?

And the word is meter not metre.
  • ....and it should be "romance"?

All these snowflakes with 27 A* GCSEs who find it impossible write a simple sentence.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,712
    ....and it should be "romance"?

All these snowflakes with 27 A* GCSEs who find it impossible write a simple sentence.

It's his second language and I imagine your Italian by comparison is nowhere near as good, so relax.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,780

It's his second language and I imagine your Italian by comparison is nowhere near as good, so relax.
    Possibly not, with a name like Franco di Banco......
    But then, who uses their real names online anyway?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    PBlakeney wrote:

Possibly not, with a name like Franco di Banco......
    But then, who uses their real names online anyway?

wasn't franco di banco the nom de plum of the guy who worked at planet x? born & bred in sheffield.

#notitalian
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    All these snowflakes

Gammon for tea is it?
  • chris_bass
    Daniel B wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

Same here :oops:

Glad i'm not the only one
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    amrushton wrote:
    Froome will go up a climb on 39x25 faster than most of us on here on 34x32

Faster than anyone on here :D
  • sgt.pepper
    sgt.pepper Posts: 300
    mrfpb wrote:
    You can use them without monitoring them during the ride by sticking your phone or GPS unit in your pocket or bag. Then you can compare your "feel" with the actual stats.

I really like this suggestion, perfect compromise. The racing I do isn't serious, I'm more interested in improving my performance for me.
    TimothyW wrote:

I commute on a 10 speed in a hilly area - I know this pain.

Funnily enough, I'm a die-hard F1 fan who can't get into watching cycle racing because I find it too dull :?
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Sgt.Pepper wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:

I really like this suggestion, perfect compromise. The racing I do isn't serious, I'm more interested in improving my performance for me.
    I just did a "Naked" parkrun this weekend. NOT naturist, Runners are asked to guess their finishing times then run the course without any timing device. I found it a loss less distracting when I wasn't keeping an eye on my pace and heartrate. I was 39s slower than I guessed over the 5km, but enjoyed the run more.
  • Wayne Plunger
    Wayne Plunger Posts: 444
    Can the admin on this site introduce a section for people who just want to ride a bike without harping on about power meters, climbing / descending massive cols, slamming their stems, "when I'm racing" (yeah right), I'm faster than you, I know more about wheels than you, I've got more seat post showing etc.

Every post on here is like a "one up fest" I am just waiting for one of you to say "my brother is a fireman"