Forum home Road cycling forum Pro race

Moreno Moser

RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 22,895
edited May 2019 in Pro race
Moreno Moser has announced his retirement aged 28 saying he's not competitive any more.

I dare say that his career may have been different had been called Moreno Rossi.
Twitter: @RichN95

Posts

  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 46,617 Lives Here
    Great win in strade bianche back in the day.
  • DeVlaeminckDeVlaeminck Posts: 5,586
    Shame he's had to give it up - from what I've read he's no real idea why his form has faded so badly - he was hoping a change of team for this year would reignite his career somewhat - maybe less pressure but I guess that hasn't happened.
    AFC Mercia women - sign for us
  • ContrelaMontreContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    Didn't he say he was going to retire a couple of years ago?

    Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • ProssPross Posts: 22,131
    RichN95 wrote:
    Moreno Moser has announced his retirement aged 28 saying he's not competitive any more.

    I dare say that his career may have been different had been called Moreno Rossi.

    Always difficult for the younger family members of sporting greats. Struggling to think of many in any sport that have lived up to the expectations resulting from the previous generation. I'm sure someone will come in with a huge list now though! In cycling Dan Martin has done well but not quite to his uncle's level.
  • timothywtimothyw Posts: 2,482
    Yeah, it can be tricky to live up to a name - I suppose that's an advantage for Dan Martin as I don't think I was aware of the Roche connection until today.

    Mathieu van der Poel is on track to match his father's achievements at least.... unclear if he'll be attempting Grand Tours and riding them to the standard of Pou-Pou.
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 22,895
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Moreno Moser has announced his retirement aged 28 saying he's not competitive any more.

    I dare say that his career may have been different had been called Moreno Rossi.

    Always difficult for the younger family members of sporting greats. Struggling to think of many in any sport that have lived up to the expectations resulting from the previous generation. I'm sure someone will come in with a huge list now though! In cycling Dan Martin has done well but not quite to his uncle's level.
    It's hard to think of an example pre-VdP of father and sons being stars. There have been sons of greats who have had a steady careers (Roche, Merckx) and those that have surpassed their journeymen fathers (Wiggins, Schleck, Kreuziger).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ContrelaMontreContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Moreno Moser has announced his retirement aged 28 saying he's not competitive any more.

    I dare say that his career may have been different had been called Moreno Rossi.

    Always difficult for the younger family members of sporting greats. Struggling to think of many in any sport that have lived up to the expectations resulting from the previous generation. I'm sure someone will come in with a huge list now though! In cycling Dan Martin has done well but not quite to his uncle's level.
    It's hard to think of an example pre-VdP of father and sons being stars. There have been sons of greats who have had a steady careers (Roche, Merckx) and those that have surpassed their journeymen fathers (Wiggins, Schleck, Kreuziger).

    FYI, Moreno did surpass his journeyman father. It is his uncle who won the Giro, at hatful of classics and broke the hour record.

    Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • mididoctorsmididoctors Posts: 7,107
    That mad rear wheel. Like a penny farthing in reverse
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_DoctorNo_Ta_Doctor Posts: 9,465
    For kids that outshine parents in other sports, where the parent isn't a journeyman...

    Michael Laudrup's dad, Finn, was a bit special

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phUTCsVAKXA

    Michael though was a class apart.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkwoNViAI1k

    Brian was OK. According to Michael, Brian was more talented but never really put in the work.
    “Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

    @DrHeadgear

    The Vikings are coming!
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 22,895
    For kids that outshine parents in other sports, where the parent isn't a journeyman....
    Chris Broad and Stuart Broad in cricket. In fact there are three current England cricketers whose fathers played test cricket.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ContrelaMontreContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027

    Michael Laudrup's dad, Finn, was a bit special

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phUTCsVAKXA

    ...

    What has Fire on the Bayou got to do with Finn Laudrup? I thought maybe The Meters must be a Danish funk band!

    Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • ContrelaMontreContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    Also when I click on the Michael Laudrup link I get an error, "this video has been removed by the user"

    Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • No_Ta_DoctorNo_Ta_Doctor Posts: 9,465

    Michael Laudrup's dad, Finn, was a bit special

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phUTCsVAKXA

    ...

    What has Fire on the Bayou got to do with Finn Laudrup? I thought maybe The Meters must be a Danish funk band!

    :lol:

    Ooops....

    Here's Finn, when he wasn't playing drums for New Orleans' premier funk pioneers:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3orIJvbwnPA

    And here's the an updated link to Michael as well.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiYjQcF2nsY

    *I am a knobmoomin*
    “Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

    @DrHeadgear

    The Vikings are coming!
Sign In or Register to comment.