Waterproof gloves

lakesluddite
lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
edited May 2019 in Road buying advice
Something I have never been able to get right in all these years of cycling is gloves. I think I run quite warm in the hands, until I get sweaty or wet, then the chill sets in fairly quickly. In the winter it's fine - I have good insulated gloves that have a decent amount of water resistance, but it's this time of year (and Autumn) when I don't need the insulation so much, but would like a pair of gloves that still keeps most of the rain out for a couple of hours at least.

Is there anything out there that is a. Waterproof, b. breathable, c. thin material?

And preferably not breaking the bank (ie around £50 or preferably below). I have seen the Dissent 133 glove system, but tbh I don't really want another set of three, just a waterproof thin glove.

Comments

• pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,212
    Try looking up Sealskinz Sea Leopard gloves. They are not cycle specific and are a fairly light glove intended for cool not cold conditions.
    https://www.outdoorgb.com/p/SealSkinz_M ... 2sQAvD_BwE
  • aberdeenal
    aberdeenal Posts: 200
    Pilot Pete wrote:

Can vouch for the Dissent 133 system - kept my hands warm and dry
  • Those dissent look interesting, but the images seem to show that for your money you only get enough for one hand. Is this right???
  • zeee
    zeee Posts: 103
    Manglier wrote:
    Try looking up Sealskinz Sea Leopard gloves. They are not cycle specific and are a fairly light glove intended for cool not cold conditions.
    https://www.outdoorgb.com/p/SealSkinz_M ... 2sQAvD_BwE

I have these and they are good once on but I always find the liner makes them difficult to get back on when removed mid ride.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Wouldn't bother looking for waterproof gloves - it's a bit like hunting for rocking-horse manure. Skin is waterproof, just get ones that are warm when wet.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • PhilipPirrip
    PhilipPirrip Posts: 616
    My favourite for the conditions the OP decribes are Lusso Windtex gloves.

Light, windproof and do a good job of keeping water out and regulating sweat, and if any water does get in your fingers don't get cold. Can be paired with a pair of Rooster liners to cope with most winter temperatures without hands getting sweaty and cold.

I also have the Windtex overshoes which are brilliant for their light weight at keeping water out and keeping feet warm in wet conditions, Again, can be paired with toe covers for the worst winter conditions.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I’ve got some Rooster liners but don’t find them as good as Meraklon liner gloves which I first used years ago in the Army and now have a couple of pairs for cycling. They are only about a fiver a pair. I use one pair with the Dissent 133 Outdry gloves in the wet and if the temp drops below about 5*C I put on both pairs of liners with the Outdry gloves. Keep my hands warm and dry.

I have found that water can get in through capillary action if my arms get wet - base layer or arm warmers if the gloves are put on over them, which inevitably they will be. This does take a few hours, by which you will be wet through anyhow either from the rain or sweat if you are working hard. It’s all about trying to keep warm even when wet.

PP
  • zeee
    zeee Posts: 103
    Just found these and going to give them a try.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-wear-m-gore-windstopperr-gloves-1/