Bike bags

gingerflash1975
gingerflash1975 Posts: 49
edited August 2019 in Road general
I wonder if anyone could recommend a bike bag please? It'd be used for about 4 to 6 flights a year.

I'd like something with a frame that holds the bike by the drop-outs, like Biknd and Scicons.
I'd like to be able to leave the bars on, but rotated. Scicon allows the bars to stay on, but straight, so the bag is very wide.

I don't like having the bars removed, potentially coming into contact with fork or frame, while the cable outers risk getting kinked or damaged by being forced into an unnatural position. I always find safely positioning and securing the detached bars to be the most difficult part of packing.

I'm looking for something big enough at the top corner that a turned bar will fit in comfortably.

(medium sized road bike BTW).

Thanks.

Comments

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Bars on and rotated makes the bike and hence the bag/case longer. Best check the maximum dimensions quoted by the airlines.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Just get a BikeBoxAlan and be done with it!
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,263
    Navrig2 wrote:
    Bars on and rotated makes the bike and hence the bag/case longer. Best check the maximum dimensions quoted by the airlines.

Had no issues with this in a bag (no frame to hold the bike though). There's no room for anything to move in there once the wheel bags are in TBH. Most boxes need you to remove the bars though.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Navrig2 wrote:

Had no issues with this in a bag (no frame to hold the bike though). There's no room for anything to move in there once the wheel bags are in TBH. Most boxes need you to remove the bars though.

I'll maybe try it next time. Cheers.
  • aberdeenal
    aberdeenal Posts: 200
    Svetty wrote:
    Just get a BikeBoxAlan and be done with it!

I concur!
  • OnTheRopes
    OnTheRopes Posts: 460
    If you are going to use it 4 to 6 times a year then don't mess about with bags, get a box, as suggested a bikeboxallan
  • darrell1967
    darrell1967 Posts: 470
    I’ve just bought an EVA Ultimate Hardware bike box brand new for £155 off eBay.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,801
    I’ve just bought an EVA Ultimate Hardware bike box brand new for £155 off eBay.
    Similar to what I have. They will last 6-8 trips comfortably but are crushable in the middle.
    I usually have to re-true my wheels. I am getting a BBA. Used one going cheap. :wink:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    I have an original scicon which is great but the BBA was a step up. They have an anti crush post and better locks and wheels. Do BBA still hire them out? Worth hiring one to see if you like it. Kate Butler demoed a bag on youtube recently that folded to backpack size but it involved removing fork/bars/pedals/rear mech. In the BBA, its turn the bars and tuck under the tt. Worth removing rear mech from hanger and ziptying. I used a large planet x bag for another bike. Wrapped bike in pipe lag, put cardboard from a bike box on the internal sides and used a lot of bubble wrap. Weight was lower and the bike was fine over numerous trips. Dimensions can change so check with your carrier. It's getting to the point tho' where rental of a bike will equal/outweigh the faff of the airport. Remember the airline will carry the bike if there is sufficient hold capacity so check T&C. I know of instances when the bike(s) have been left on the ground and subject to next available flight. Someone I knew used DHL to collect and deliver the bike. Pro: Higher kg allowance and they collect from your house and deliver to hotel (and home). Con: Cost. But worth checking as rate might have changed
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    https://www.buxumbox.com/product/tourmalet-box/

If you are going to do many trips
  • amrushton
    Thats a smart bit of kit but heading to £1000! If it causes any heartbreak that pretty case is going to get dented. Look at any touring band and see how their cases get beaten. I like the design but compared to bike rental, the advantages of taking your own bike are going less.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,263
    FatTed wrote:
    https://www.buxumbox.com/product/tourmalet-box/

If you are going to do many trips

I was on a trip with someone who had one of these and they are absolutely fantastic.

If you make many trips with an expensive bike, that's the one to go for. I am not in that market myself.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I've just bought one of these:-

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-ac ... 37202.html

It hasn't been used in anger yet but will be next month. First impressions are that it is pretty sturdy and seems to get great reviews.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • pblakeney
    Crescent wrote:

It hasn't been used in anger yet but will be next month. First impressions are that it is pretty sturdy and seems to get great reviews.
    I am struggling to see the "anti-crush technology" and most of the positive reviews are from people who haven't used it yet. Let us know how you get on.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • FatTed
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Crescent wrote:

I am struggling to see the "anti-crush technology" and most of the positive reviews are from people who haven't used it yet. Let us know how you get on.

Could put a partly inflated beach ball in the middle of the bike triangle, that may add a bit of anti crush
  • crescent
    The anti-crush "technology" is two plastic pillars that provide rigidity to the centre section and stop the two sides from deflecting inwards, similar to other clam shell cases I imagine - a simple idea that works very well. I will gladly report back when I have used it but the quality seems good in so far as it is not flimsy plastic, the locking mechanisms are solid and the internal straps and frame protection are well laid out and secure. The airline baggage handlers will be the acid test I suppose.
    The beach ball idea would actually work quite well.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • pblakeney
    Sounds like my case (like the EVA above) with the addition of an adjustable screwed packer might suffice. Hmmmmm.....
    I’d guess anything that can deform my wheels would deform a beach ball.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Wow, thanks for the replies everyone.

I don't take my bike to save money on hiring. I do it because I want my own bike there.
    I don't fancy spending more than £400 and the rigid boxes aren't ideal for me due to storage both on holiday and at home. It's good being able to flatten a bag and keep it under the bed. The boxes look like they'd be quite difficult to store. Having said that, the Probikekit looks great VFM. Isn't it just a copy of an Alan? I'm surprised they don't show a picture of the box with a bike in it.

I realise that leaving bars on, turned at the steerer, would make the bag longer and that's where my current one falls down. The shifter is jammed into the top corner and leaves insufficient room to pad it adequately, so i have to take off the bars and somehow secure against the toptube.
  • Just seen that the Probikekit box is over 13kg. Once fully packed, it's going to be considerably over most airlines' weight limit.
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    Heard good things about Bonza Bike Boxes. Cheaper than a BBA.

https://bonzabikekit.com/

I've got a BW one. Lasted 6 flights before falling to pieces. Fortunately BA replaced it free of charge. Second one is 2 flights old and holding together.
  • crescent
    We're flying with Easy-Jet who have a 32kg weight limit on large items of sports equipment. My aluminium Bianchi is probably about 9-9.5kg so I reckon with the bike and a few bits and bobs I'll be looking at 25kgs max. They do specify that it should only contain the bike so anything else that goes in will be minimal and probably attached to the bike.

Edit: I think the PBK box is just a rebadged Bonza Bike box - maybe a previous version but they look identical in the photos.
  • backo
    backo Posts: 167
    Crescent wrote:
    We're flying with Easy-Jet who have a 32kg weight limit on large items of sports equipment. My aluminium Bianchi is probably about 9-9.5kg so I reckon with the bike and a few bits and bobs I'll be looking at 25kgs max. They do specify that it should only contain the bike so anything else that goes in will be minimal and probably attached to the bike.

Edit: I think the PBK box is just a rebadged Bonza Bike box - maybe a previous version but they look identical in the photos.

got back from sierra Nevada recently after flying with easyjet.....had all my clothes, tools, nutrition, helmet, shoes...pretty much everything bar batteries and gps etc in the bike box with my bike. Weighed under 32kg and they weren't bother to check.

They only asked if I had co2 cartridges in the box.

Have flown with two other airlines and did the same without issue.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,555
    Wow, thanks for the replies everyone.

I don't take my bike to save money on hiring. I do it because I want my own bike there.
    I don't fancy spending more than £400 and the rigid boxes aren't ideal for me due to storage both on holiday and at home. It's good being able to flatten a bag and keep it under the bed. The boxes look like they'd be quite difficult to store. Having said that, the Probikekit looks great VFM. Isn't it just a copy of an Alan? I'm surprised they don't show a picture of the box with a bike in it.

I realise that leaving bars on, turned at the steerer, would make the bag longer and that's where my current one falls down. The shifter is jammed into the top corner and leaves insufficient room to pad it adequately, so i have to take off the bars and somehow secure against the toptube.
    fwiw i've had a bba one for c. ten years, many many flights, it's got a few scuffs but aside from that still fine - but if you've nowhere to store it then not a great option

bike is a large frame so the bars have to come off, but there's a specific place they get strapped, i add in spares, tools, bottles, helmet, energy bars, whatever else, etc., and fill up gaps with spare plastic bags etc. as padding (if something comes adrift, it stops it getting bounced around and dinging the frame)

fully packed, c. 23-25kg

typically* bike boxes are not weighed, the scales at check-in usually lack the clearance, sometimes i'm asked the weight so i simply say about 23kg and that's it, once you're checked in you'll need to take it to the oversized baggage point, never had anyone check weight at that point

*i've found the uk/european ok, middle east is another matter!

this is from a few years ago, i keep it on my phone as a reminder of how to fit some things in
    bba1.jpg
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pblakeney
    Another alternative. Recommended by Marmot Tours but I haven’t tried it.
    Looks like they’ve taken a BBA and tried to improve it. Opinions?
    https://www.shokbox.co.uk/#
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • amrushton
    Wow, thanks for the replies everyone.

that PBK is down to £199 today. I was able to turn the bars on the steerer and rotate them under the tt. The large padded bag I have worked just as well as my hard case but wasnt quite as manouverable. They have improved a lot. I understand people taking their own bikes but when it doesnt arrive or does and is in a state of disrepair (it doesnt often happen btw) then you start costing the options. My soft bag is a bit like

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/tifosi-li ... gL2GvD_BwE

or there is this

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/scicon-aerocom ... gIAbPD_BwE
  • svetty
    Just seen that the Probikekit box is over 13kg. Once fully packed, it's going to be considerably over most airlines' weight limit.

Really? :roll:
    Most airlines have a 30kg limit, some 32kg. That leaves 17kg+ for bike plus sundry clothes, tools etc. Must be a heavy bike for this to be an issue....
  • FatTed
    In Australasia it is 23Kg per bag
  • svetty
    FatTed wrote:
    In Australasia it is 23Kg per bag
    Strange. Qantas web site says 32kgs......
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,555
    Svetty wrote:
    Just seen that the Probikekit box is over 13kg. Once fully packed, it's going to be considerably over most airlines' weight limit.

Really? :roll:
    Most airlines have a 30kg limit, some 32kg. That leaves 17kg+ for bike plus sundry clothes, tools etc. Must be a heavy bike for this to be an issue....
    depends whether he's talking about the baggage allowance limit or the typical 32kg safe handling limit (though some airlines even have exceptions on this for certain items)

allowance limits vary by airline, class of travel and ff status, if your ticket only allows 23kg you'll be liable for excess charges if you go over

a loaded bikebox can certainly exceed 23kg, though whether it gets weighed is another matter

some will carry bikes as part of baggage allowance, some charge a fixed fee, others will only take them as excess baggage or cargo (ffs)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I often reply to threads regarding this topic. You can tell from my nik what I do for a living!

What it comes down to is how much protection you want for your pride and joy. You will find anecdotal evidence all over the place about bike bags being just fine, “my bike has travelled lots and it’s never been damaged”, etc etc.

The fact is, you can get lucky repeatedly and even travelling like a cycle tourist with just a CTC plastic bag you may not suffer damage. BUT, you need to be lucky EVERY time in order for your bike to be rideable at the other end of a commercial flight if you don’t minimise the risk with a solid, non crushable (within reason) bike box such as the BBA.

Hold loading is invariably contracted out by the vast majority of airlines to a ground handling agency. This is because they can do it cheaper for a large number of airlines rather than each airline employing their own staff and purchasing or leasing the required equipment and the associated maintenance.

Handling agents are driven down on price by the airline negotiators and have a vested interest in therefore doing the job as cheaply as possible. This often leads to equipment that regularly breaks down and staff that aren’t really motivated and turn over regularly. You can probably see where this is going.

As pilots, one of the two crew will fly the aeroplane from A to B and the other will carry out the pre-flight external inspection and organise the fuelling etc. When I am that non-flying pilot I often see bags that have fallen off the conveyor (belt loader) which the baggage handlers pick up at the end and put back on the loader/ chuck into the hold. These bags have often fallen off the loader as they reach the hold door, catch on the frame and topple off. Depending on the aeroplane type, this hold door can be anything from about 5’ off the ground to 10-15’ on the big wide body jets. Most wide body jets have palletised bags (bags are all placed in big aluminium bins and then loaded in stages), whereas typical short haul EU type flights will just have loose bags piled in the hold. These are at greater risk.

So, if your bike falls off the loader and drops 5’ plus to the ground, how well protected will it be? Are you confident it won’t be damaged? Or if it falls off the baggage cart as it is being driven out to the aeroplane on that snake of dollies? And if hit by a following dolly whilst lying on the tarmac? Think I’m being overly dramatic? Seen it a number of times. I’m as confident as I can be that my pride and joy will be safe. I choose the Bike Box Alan. And no, I’m not paid or sponsored by them. I’ve also seen lots of pros using the BBA too. There’s a reason for that.

So good luck with a bag, you’ll need luck every day using one if you travel frequently.

PP

P.s. I should add, that loose bags in the hold can move about, but are restrained by net to stop them shifting significantly en masse. Your bike bag/ box will be in there with them. So, experience turbulence and bags can move, including if you are unlucky, lots of bags shifting and ending up on your bag/ box. Similarly on take off and landing things can move about and your pride and joy could end up with a significant weight of solid suitcases upon it. Would you be confident of your bike bag/ box maintaining its integrity fully and preventing any of that weight being put directly onto your bike? We all know how strong carbon fibre is in its intended use, but quite fragile to forces from unintended directions...