Fork Refurb

geomickb
geomickb Posts: 147
edited May 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
I was thinking of getting a replacement fork but am now thinking I could get the existing one refurbished somehow.

Does anyone have any experience of this? It is a Rockshox Reba 29.

Cheers,

Mick

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    If you are happy with how the fork has been performing then send it off for a full service.
    It'll cost in excess of £100 but a lot less than a new fork. (A new Reba 29 is about £300 - £350)
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,449
    I agree that it is cheaper to service a good fork than it is to replace it. Yours may be in that category.

A good service agent to use is TF Tuned. I have used them and they gave an excellent service. Their charge for a full service on a Reba is £99. Plus any postage charges that you or they may incur. If they have to replace any parts that are not part of the service that will be extra. I believe that if they discover anything like that they contact you with a quote before going ahead. Best check all that for yourself. All details are on their website. I have included a link to their service prices page, but you can get info on lots of stuff. Ring them up and talk, they are nice people.

https://www.tftuned.com/servicing/16-rockshox-forks
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    No all problems with forks are serviceable though. Though TF tuned will let you know if repair is looking to be uneconomical.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Forks have service intervals, they shouldn't need refurbing as you put it but servicing.

If its not damaged then just get a service, you can also upgrade dampers for a lot less cost than new forks.

As an example of what can be done, my forks started as entry level 26" Revelations (similar to a Reba) bought used, I swapped the lowers for 29" ones, at the same time I fitted the later (so called dig valve) rebound damper, later I upgraded the compression damper to an RCT3 and added some volume spacers. Offsetting buys with the bits I could sell I had a Fork that cost me about £140 that would have cost over £400 new, only the CSU and airshaft were original, everything else was new and unused.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.