Not getting on with Canyon aero cockpit

CptKernow
CptKernow Posts: 467
edited May 2019 in Road general
I bought a Canyon Ultimate last year with the H36 cockpit. I had an Ultimate before with the standard stem and found this pretty much perfect for me.

Both were 100mm, but I just find the H36 a bit too aggressive - except on the drops, where it feels about the same. When I took the bike to get fitted the guy measured the stem at over 120mm, but I guess the bar shape compensates for this.

Does anyone else feel this way about this cockpit?

I'm currently thinking of buying the 90mm version or going back to old skool stem and bars...

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Unless anyone else has your exact dimensions, anyone else's opinion is not going to mean much..
  • Not all bars have the same drop and reach, as your fitter has probably explained
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • CptKernow
    Thanks for the replies.

I realise fit is subjective and bar geometry varies.
    What I am really asking is does anyone else find the H36 cockpit to be aggressive (even if that suits them).
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    CptKernow wrote:
    Thanks for the replies.

I realise fit is subjective and bar geometry varies.
    What I am really asking is does anyone else find the H36 cockpit to be aggressive (even if that suits them).

I'm not trying to be difficult. It's an aero race bike. People comfortable with that position are not going to find it 'aggressive'. Just 'normal'. Anyone who does find it aggressive would probably be better off looking at the Ultimate, or the Endurace..
  • CptKernow
    Imposter wrote:
    Anyone who does find it aggressive would probably be better off looking at the Ultimate, or the Endurace..

This is the Ultimate which is why I'm a little surprised it feels more aggressive to me.
  • CptKernow
    Think I might have got towards the potential issue. As the bars aren't able to rotate this means the hoods are a fair bit lower on my Canyon bars than on my other bike which actually has a shorter headtube.

Will put the ego to one side and slip in a spacer or two to see how that feels.
  • JBVRV
    JBVRV Posts: 27
    You could try moving the shifters further up the bar?
  • CptKernow
    JBVRV wrote:
    You could try moving the shifters further up the bar?
    That involves some re-taping - the worst bicycle maintenance job ever!

I went to the physio yesterday and things are feeling distinctly better. Almost tempted to put take the spacer out again...
  • Does anyone know the rise of the stem of Canyon's aerocockpits?
    That could explain why it feels more aggressive to @CptKernow .
    The standard stem rise +/- 6 degrees. I don't know about the aero though.
    I am also considering replacing my standard stem with an aero one.