Aeroad

2»

Comments

• philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229

Any clubbie that says they can really tell the difference between an S3, an Aeroad, a Propel and a Venturii is lying.

#discsarefortouringandcaravans
    #BuyitThrashitCrashitSellit

I sort of agree with this, and also some other folks views on riding 23mm tyres and rim brakes. none of my bikes have disc brakes, I'm not sure I need them.

as to the original question, I think the aeroad looks a great bike. lots of people ride them and they seem fast and comfy. fill your boots.
  • cyclenutnz
    cyclenutnz Posts: 30
    Imposter wrote:
    Ergo: all pro riders must have disproportionately short legs. Absurd post of the week, and it’s only Monday morning.

Not 'ergo' in the slightest - you can't infer that from what I said.
    Pro riders have the conditioning to ride much greater drop to the bars than the average club racer. Recreational enthusiasts usually higher again (bars), unless they have proportionally short legs.

As an example - I would fit ok on an Aeroad
    2py3yp5.jpg

Not slammed despite a saddle to bar reach of 630mm and saddle to bar drop of 135mm. I am slammed on my S5 (9mm spacer). I'm not a pro, but my long arms and starting young let my position look pro (unlike my current physique unfortunately).

To illustrate what I said earlier more clearly
    289bkmp.jpg

Domane sizing works really well for the average rider.
    S3 is a bit lower and longer - tends to work well for a club racer
    Aeroad is at the extreme low end of the bike sizing spectrum - a 58 Domane and 62 Aeroad have the same stack but the Aeroad is a full 40mm longer.

'Normal' riders buying pro bikes are the bane of bike fitters - it's no fun telling someone they simply can't be comfortable on the bike they have (because the bars can't go high enough or stem short enough)
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    a 9mm spacer is not slammed. its very much the opposite.

an S5 has a well long head tube. add to that a 9mm spacer and it must be oike riding a chopper.

can you post a piccie of your bike to illustrate that I am wrong please.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    cyclenutnz wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Ergo: all pro riders must have disproportionately short legs. Absurd post of the week, and it’s only Monday morning.

Not 'ergo' in the slightest - you can't infer that from what I said.
    Pro riders have the conditioning to ride much greater drop to the bars than the average club racer. Recreational enthusiasts usually higher again (bars), unless they have proportionally short legs.

I'm using your own words against you, that's all. You need to be clear whether you mean 'proportionately' or 'disproportionately' - the meaning is significantly different. If someone has 'proportionately' (or proportionally) short legs, then they are generally short, as their leg length corresponds with their overall height. If their leg length is 'disproportionate' then their leg length is unusually long/short in relation to their height. Which is it?
    cyclenutnz wrote:
    'Normal' riders buying pro bikes are the bane of bike fitters - it's no fun telling someone they simply can't be comfortable on the bike they have (because the bars can't go high enough or stem short enough)

Again - what is your definition of a 'normal' rider? If your definition is someone who needs to set up a Propel or an Aeroad like an upright shopper bike, then I don't think that's normal. Sweeping generalisations like this do not help anyone.

Finally, you simply cannot compare a Domane and an Aeroad side by side, because one is a race-oriented aero bike and the other is a sportive-oriented 'endurance' bike. Comparisons like this do not help your case either.
  • cyclenutnz
    an S5 has a well long head tube. add to that a 9mm spacer and it must be oike riding a chopper.

You realise that my 58 S5 has an 18mm shorter head tube than your 58 S3? You make 2 or 3mm of that back with your lower headset cover.

Oddly enough I don't have a pic of that bike. In fact I'd struggle to find a proper pic of any of my bikes. I am 2" taller than you so just imagine your bike with a higher saddle and lower bars ;)
  • cyclenutnz
    Imposter wrote:
    If someone has 'proportionately' (or proportionally) short legs, then they are generally short, as their leg length corresponds with their overall height. If their leg length is 'disproportionate' then their leg length is unusually long/short in relation to their height. Which is it?

No, proportionally short indicates that the legs are short in relation to the torso. Short legs can just mean that the rider is short. I have long legs, but they are bang on average proportion for someone my height. What you are trying to say is 'short but in proportion' - which is different.
    Again - what is your definition of a 'normal' rider? If your definition is someone who needs to set up a Propel or an Aeroad like an upright shopper bike, then I don't think that's normal. Sweeping generalisations like this do not help anyone.

Using the ANSUR88 Anthropometry database (3982 subjects) we can define normal (centre of the bell curve) for a male as:
    Inseam: 837mm
    Arm Length: 602mm
    Shoulder Width: 400mm
    Sternal Notch height: 1438mm
    Overall height irrelevant to bike fit

If we place that rider in a position with saddle height that yields an extended knee angle of ~143deg, setback ~10% of saddle height, torso angle (relative to ground) 44-46 deg they will end up with a club race position of
    Saddle height: 740mm
    Setback: 74mm
    Bar drop: 87mm
    Bar Reach: 534mm

Which puts them on a 54 S3 with a 90x-6 stem on a 9mm spacer

If we assign a more relaxed 'sport' rider position with a torso angle of 47-49 deg we get:
    Saddle height: 735mm
    Setback: 64mm
    Bar drop: 58mm
    Bar Reach: 510mm

Which puts them on a 54 Domane with a 90x-6 stem and 15mm spacer.

In both cases the rider would be able to condition to a longer stem. For comparison a pro torso angle is ~40deg
    Finally, you simply cannot compare a Domane and an Aeroad side by side, because one is a race-oriented aero bike and the other is a sportive-oriented 'endurance' bike. Comparisons like this do not help your case either.

Now you're believing generalisations that don't help anyone. The industry definitions of race and endurance are basically low and high - with a small relationship to steering geometry. Fit/Sizing (reach and stack) is how you get comfortable and able to generate best power, Steering geometry defines the response speed and aero is just an efficiency factor. No point being on an Aeroad if you can't use the drops, your hands go numb and your back locks up.
  • Matthewfalle
    edited May 2019
    cyclenutnz wrote:

You realise that my 58 S5 has an 18mm shorter head tube than your 58 S3? You make 2 or 3mm of that back with your lower headset cover.

Oddly enough I don't have a pic of that bike. In fact I'd struggle to find a proper pic of any of my bikes. I am 2" taller than you so just imagine your bike with a higher saddle and lower bars ;)

i'm not comparing my S3, i'm comparing my S5 that was slammed and the fact that a 9mm spacer is a 9mm spacer on your S5 and that isn't slammed.

i'm not worried about your position just people taking slammed in vain.

#notslammed

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    cyclenutnz wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    If someone has 'proportionately' (or proportionally) short legs, then they are generally short, as their leg length corresponds with their overall height. If their leg length is 'disproportionate' then their leg length is unusually long/short in relation to their height. Which is it?

No, proportionally short indicates that the legs are short in relation to the torso. Short legs can just mean that the rider is short. I have long legs, but they are bang on average proportion for someone my height. What you are trying to say is 'short but in proportion' - which is different.

You just confirmed that you don't understand the terms you are using. You are using 'proportionally' where you should be using 'disproportionately'. For someone apparently involved in bike fitting, it's an odd thing not to understand.

cyclenutnz wrote:
    Now you're believing generalisations that don't help anyone.

Which is ironic, considering your use of phrases like 'club race' position and 'sport rider' position, which are appalling generalisations...
  • Matthewfalle
    whats the difference between "club race" and "sport rider"? is it to fluff the ego of a clubbie?

#justwondering

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    more internet muppetry and the belief that bike fitters opinions (for the most part) are worth the paper theyre printed on.

do a couple of hours on a course youre a pro. £300 please. more muppetry expense.
  • more internet muppetry and the belief that bike fitters opinions (for the most part) are worth the paper theyre printed on.

do a couple of hours on a course youre a pro. £300 please. more muppetry expense.

Does that include VAT?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    more internet muppetry and the belief that bike fitters opinions (for the most part) are worth the paper theyre printed on.

Does that include VAT?
    are you paying cash?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Oh the internet :roll:
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • wastelander
    wastelander Posts: 557
    Chadders81 wrote:

Planet X don’t do an aero disc bike.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRRDUL ... r8000-disc
  • Matthewfalle
    sheeeesh - thats fugly.

#yuck

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Chadders81 wrote:

Planet X don’t do an aero disc bike.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRRDUL ... r8000-disc

Yeah I saw that and it’s not bad value. Not much of a looker though.

Also, that’s a lot of cables causing drag on the front of an aero bike.