Flat Mount Disc Brake to Post Mount Fork

Tiesetrotter
Tiesetrotter Posts: 432
edited May 2019 in Workshop
I have a CAAD12 with a post mount front fork.

I am intending to buy the Chorus DB groupset when it is released which, as far as I can see, is only flat mount. Are there adaptors for this type of fitting or is it new fork time?

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    This adaptor was pointed out in another thread: https://www.assolutions.ca/shop/adapter ... 160-rotor/

No idea about availability in the UK, and you'd have to measure your fork carefully to make sure it would fit. Another option is to run a post mount Hope RX4 caliper. I've got one on the front of my gravel bike for a similar reason, and the braking is excellent.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Just to add to the above, the fact that the Shimano Hope RX4 model is compatible does further imply that you can use most Shimano post mount calipers, eg deore (as these have shown to be compatible with the Shimano hydraulic brifters the RX4 was designed for).

I've also heard that Magura post mount works (and Magura were involved in the development of the Campag hydraulic system so this might be the best match).
  • Tiesetrotter
    Apparently, the CAAD12 uses a Evo S6 HiMod fork.
  • Tiesetrotter
    OK, I have an answer on the https://www.assolutions.ca/shop/adapter ... 160-rotor/ ability to do this:

The adapters that I make will allow you to use campy callipers on a CAAD12 fork. Campy makes three callipers: 140mm rear, 160mm rear, and 160mm front. My adapters only work properly with the 140mm rear. callipers. To use them with 140mm rotors you need the PM140-FM140 adapter. To use them with 160mm rotors you need the PM140-FM160 adapter.
    So if you want to use 140 mm rotors on your fork you need the PM140-FM140 Adapter and you need a 140 mm "rear" calliper. You might be able to order a UK left-hand shifter and a US right-hand shifter. That way, you will get both shifters with "140mm rear callipers".

If I am getting this right then a PM140-FM160 will work on the fork.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Hmm, I feel I'm missing something - but how does the lever/shifter know what caliper is fitted?
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    rafletcher wrote:
    Hmm, I feel I'm missing something - but how does the lever/shifter know what caliper is fitted?
    It doesn't, but if you buy them as a unit they will be supplied with a front or rear caliper depending on which country they are intended for. They would need the 'rear' caliper on the front as well, because it is a standard flat mount caliper rather than Campagnolo's front caliper which is designed to fit to the fork without an adaptor.
  • Tiesetrotter
    Further clarification from the adaptor people:

Just to be clear. To use 160 mm rotor on your fork you still need a 140 mm rear caliper in order for the PM140-FM160 adapter to work. The front specific calipers made by campy will not work with the adapters that I make.
  • Tiesetrotter
    New fork seems sensible if I can get one.
  • Tiesetrotter
    Strange, Cannondale does not sell replacement forks according to two UK distributors.

So for the record, if anyone else is remotely interested, the answer is to buy the Campag DB groupset with two rear flat mount 140mm callipers and a CSG Post Mount converter 140mm-160mm. I'd like to personally thank Sigma Sports for all their efforts in helping me to get to this answer, their service has been amazing. I'll be buying and getting the answer fitted by them

Disc brakes now officially take over bottom brackets as the complete arse of the road bike world. Closely followed by being a Campagnolo loyal customer.
  • Hi Tiesetrotter, thank you for your posts, this information is very useful.

You mentioned that you made adapters, do you still do and how could I buy one?

I have ordered a Campag right brake/shifter with a rear 140mm caliper to install on the fork as per Sigma's advice. Would I need a 140mm or 160mm rotor?